This might very well be the right one. I notice there's a shoulder patch on the uniform that we can't see but it might confirm it when looking at the information below.

Source: Newspapers.com

Publication: The Minneapolis Star

Issue Date: Saturday, July 22, 1967

Page: Page 14

Army 1st Lt. Jerry L. Oltman, son of Mr. and Mrs Adolph H. Oltman, Fairmont Minn., has received the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with silver star from the South Vietnam government. The lieutenant was honored for his service as an artillery officer with the 199th Infantry Brigade's 40th Artillery.

Publication: The Manhattan Mercury

Issue Date: Monday, May 6, 1968

Page: 8

Two Captains from Hq. and Hq. Co., 23 Field Army Support Command, Ft Riley, were promoted to that rank Monday. They are Captains Kirby S. Dennis and Jerry L. Oltman.

Note: Jerry L. Oltman graduated in 1964 from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor’s Degree from the College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Home Economics of the Institute of Agriculture.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Source: FamilySearch.org

n1.jpg

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

There's Cavalry Branch Insignia there no?

As Oltman was an Artillery Officer, this would be the correct insignia, the cloth subdued version of the Artillery Branch, worn from 1957 till late 1968.

post-34986-0-02873600-1578585848.jpg

My friend sent me the pics of his colars and I have some doubt on it ^_^ the jacket is 1968 dated

img_0312.jpg
img_0313.jpg
img_0314.jpg
to be sure I need somes pics on the other side of the jacket... but for the name there is apparently no Cpt. Oltman in the 1st cav so...

One interesting aspect of the Cavalry branch insignia is that there is no cavalry branch in the army. The insignia is worn as a heritage item by members of Cav units. I know that some units, like the 2nd ACR used to expect all of their officers to wear cavalry brass no matter what their actual branch was. I'm not going to make a comment on whether or not I think the specific jacket is original; I just want to point out that the crossed sabers being on the shirt belonging to a field artillery officer isn't necessarily wrong.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

The insignia looks hand tack on, tapes too?

Plus Oltman wasn't in the 1st Cav Div in 1967, and this coat is a Rip Stop, 1968 or 69, maybe even 1970 dated, Lets see, what else, the wings and the "Cav" BOS looks mid to 2000s ribbed Poly blend, the tapes as mentioned, but then this type was used since the mid 60s, these though do have as Kammo-man stated"Post War" look about them for sure, like that odd purple discoloration.

This Jerry Oltman must have resigned sometime in 1968 cause he ain't listed in the 1969 O Registers for either Reserve or Regular.

The Reserve List as of 1 Jan 1969

post-34986-0-68084400-1578623309_thumb.png

And going on the chance Oltman gained a Regular Commission sometime n 1968, I checked their list, no Oltman, Jerry L.

The Regular List as of 1 Jan 1969

post-34986-0-91775300-1578623331_thumb.png

So, not this Jerry L. Oltman Capt Artillery for sure, maybe one of the other Reserve Oltman's who was a 1st Lieteanant as of 1 Jan 69? Improbable I would say!

Who knows maybe there was a Oltman who served as an officer in the in say the late 70s into the 80s, and was in the 1st Cav Div, wore the Cav Branch Insignia as a tradition thing, or was an 19D Officer, and wore this coat in say 1984 in the summer at Hood, with the the insignia loose with the coat which was crudely hand tacked on by somebody.

Tapes seem post war style.

owen

I was thinking the same thing.

In the late 1970's and early 1980's, units at Fort Hood, TX were authorized to wear the hot weather fatigues, especially on training deployments to Central America.

Wearing of the crossed sabers by CAV officers was also common at that time.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

"Ah, there it is. My house, and good old Cleveland Street. How could I

ever forget it? And there I am, with that dumb round face and that stupid

stocking cap. Oh, but no matter. Christmas was on its way. Lovely, glorious,

beautiful Christmas, around which the entire kid year revolved."

-- Ralphie --

I wish that I had something intelligent to add to this discussion, but since

I don't I shall make an observation or two.

I can't say with any certainty that his first name may or may not be Ralphie,

but that's definitely not a Red Rider BB gun, and it doesn't look like it's his

eye that he needs to worry about getting to get shot out.

:D

post-1529-0-72690800-1578709169_thumb.jpg

donation2009.gif

I wish that I had something intelligent to add to this discussion, but since

I don't I shall make an observation or two.

I can't say with any certainty that his first name may or may not be Ralphie,

but that's definitely not a Red Rider BB gun, and it doesn't look like it's his

eye that he needs to worry about getting to get shot out.

:D

AHAH

thanks all for your replies its sweet to take attention to my friend request he thanks you all very mutch ^_^

cheerz