Sign in to follow this  
mackeral

CHIEF PETTY OFFICER UNIFORM JUMPER?

post-142993-0-59599300-1578357895.jpg

i picked up this navy uniform last weekend. Thought is was WW1 but maybe earlier. When did CPOs wear pull-over jumpers or

should I say when did thay start wearing button up jackets?

donation2017.gif

Probably for civilian wear ("Middy" fashion) back in the 1920's give or take.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Chiefs did not wear this,it is what is referred to as a middy made for a lady. However , it looks like a fairly early one and may have been an actual uniform minus the nice looking Master at Arms patch.

THANKS GUYS. NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR BUT IT SOUNDS RIGHT TO ME.

GOOD HUNTIN'

donation2017.gif

This is an unissued Navy jumper from the early 1900's. Note the lack of stripes on the cuffs. Back then, those stripes were designators of rank and added as the sailor advanced. The Chief's rate is also regulation.

The problem as several other posters have pointed out, is the two pieces do not go together. I think KurtA and topdcnut are spot on...that this was probably put together from surplus parts in the 1920's.

The good thing is most of these jumpers put together for civilian wear have civilian parts, but yours does not. All you have to do is take the rate off and you will have two good pieces.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Are the flap and cuffs wool?

Yes, the blue areas appear to be wool (at least the moths think so).

I appreciate your answers and I think you have it nailed. I wondered why there were no stripes on the cuffs...I guess that how you can tell it is unissued. There are no marks or names on the jumper but there is a name on the pants.

Now, if it is a middie, why does it have pants? The answer is that I passed up two more sets of these and I may have picked the wrong pants.

I paid $30, should I go back for the other two?

donation2017.gif

Are all three jumpers the same? What are the chevrons on the rank patch made of wool or twill ?

i think the other two jumpers were all white but one had 2nd class yoeman stripes. post-142993-0-99942800-1578716362.jpg

post-142993-0-06001000-1578716245.jpg

donation2017.gif