Interesting Civil War Pattern of 1862 Canteen

I picked this canteen up a few weeks ago. It's a standard Pattern of 1862 Federal canteen marked "J. HALL ROHRMAN PHILAD." on the spout. It has the same brown twill cover and remnants of the white tape sling seen on most surviving examples of Rohrman canteens I found online. What makes this one especially interesting are the markings.

It's difficult to make out, but one side seems to be inked:

[illegible]

Co. A. V.R.

Civil War

post-265-0-91167100-1578330067_thumb.jpg

The other side is marked:

[illegible, but appears to be a name ending in "LIM"]

Co. A V.T.

Cuban War

post-265-0-90354300-1578330102_thumb.jpg

I wish I knew more about the provenance or could at least make out the markings better. i don't know if it's trying to say the same person used the same canteen in the Civil War and Spanish-American War (barely possible), or maybe two different family members used it in two different wars. Or maybe something else entirely.

Here are some more views trying to show the lettering a little better. It's really hard to photograph due to the weave of the cloth -- you have to turn it various directions to show off the letters in different areas. There's not any one angle that shows off the entire marking.

post-265-0-76911100-1578330403_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-53262900-1578330605_thumb.jpg

Any assistance in deciphering the markings would be appreciated!

Steve Rogers

To better read the inscriptions, I would try blacklighting it or look at the pinned post at the top of this section regarding the use of nightvision devices. I notice the canteen throat seems to have a carved "G" so I would wonder if there is an other initial there and whether it lines up with what you can make out of the inscription on the cover. As for use, I would assume the canteen was hung up as a memento of military service by the Civil War soldier and was added to by a son who did some service in the Spanish American War, not that he carried it, but that he too served in the military. It seems more likely that the Civil War inscription would read "Vt" as does the Spanish American inscription, but you are in a better position to judge that. It is a bit surprising there is no regimental number. If you can make out the two initials of the CW soldier it might be possible to nail it down by cross referencing men with those initials who served in a company A.