Sometimes You Get Lucky - Dog Tag From US Navy Admiral & Navy Cross Awardee

VMI88

I like dog tags and usually pick them up whenever I find them for a good price. They're personal, inexpensive, and are good candidates for research. I bought this set a few weeks ago and got a pleasant surprise when I Googled the name (please don't use the name in the thread for privacy reasons):

post-265-0-18694700-1578319310_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-14094600-1578319329_thumb.jpg

W------ L---- M------ DATE OF BIRTH: March 4, 1903 PLACE OF BIRTH: Baltimore, Maryland HOME OF RECORD: Detroit, Michigan

W------ M------ graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Class of 1925. He retired as a U.S. Navy Rear Admiral.

21384.jpg

AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION: 1 of 4

27-medal.png

Navy Cross AWARDED FOR ACTIONS DURING World War II Service: Navy Division: Minesweeper Group GENERAL ORDERS:

Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 325 (April 1944)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Commander W------ L---- M------, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession as Commander of a Minesweeper Group of thirteen vessels in action against enemy forces off Porto Empedocle, Sicily, 9 - 10 July 1943. Assigned the extremely hazardous mission of clearing a channel through an active hostile minefield, Commander M------ directed the operations of his command with expert tactical ability and brilliant initiative, aggressively returning the continuous fire of enemy shore batteries without retarding the progress of his forces. When another ship of the formation was mined, he skillfully supervised difficult rescue activities and the subsequent towing of the severely damaged vessel into port. By his superior technical knowledge he was largely responsible for successfully opening an unloading harbor vital to the support of our assault troops. His conduct throughout was in keeping with the highest traditions of the Navy of the United States.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

He finished the war as a captain and was also awarded two Legions of Merit for actions during the invasion of Italy. These tags would have dated to his service in Italy and could potentially have been worn during the actions that earned him the Navy Cross.

Thanks for the comments. The seller also had this Capri bell and some common campaign medals (which I didn't get). I'm about 99% sure that the bell belonged to the same officer since he was based out of Naples. Those were the only military items the seller had.

post-265-0-10780500-1578517773_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-62186000-1578517795_thumb.jpg