Weekly World War One Wing #2 - E.A. Dreher and Sons

cwnorma

Here is a lovely WW1 wing.

This badge was made by the firm E. A. Dreher and Sons of 42 Walnut St. Newark NJ. By WW1, Dreher had earned a fine reputation as a jeweler and competed with the likes of similar New York and New Jersey-based firms. Along with their New Jersey office, Dreher had a retail outlet (along with 80 other New York and New Jersey jewelers) in the Jewelers Sales Building on 47nd St, near Broadway in New York. Air Service pilots stationed at; Brindley, Hazelhurst, Roosevelt, Lufberry, and Damm Fields, as well as pilots returning to the US through the major ports in and around Hoboken NJ would have had access to purchase Dreher's exquisite wings.

post-594-0-49412800-1578243671_thumb.jpeg

This wing is larger than most and due to Dreher's interesting manufacturing method each may slightly vary in size (This particular badge is 94.5mm). One of the few legitimate WW1 wings with cast construction, each Dreher wing, exclusive of findings, is made of four major separate parts: two wings, a shield, and a die struck US (available in both gilt and gold). Each component was separately cast, expertly finished, and assembled into a single badge. The final product was then finish plated with a thin layer of platinum, rhodium, or palladium. The fit and finish quality of Dreher badges is on par with other high-end East Coast jewelers.

I would love to see your Dreher badges and am particularly interested in size variations of these very handsome wings.

Chris

Tod,

Here you are:

post-594-0-61984000-1578249502_thumb.jpeg

My photography skills are potato quality, but for those who can't make it out the markings are:

E.A. DREHER & SON

NEWARK,N.J.

STERLING

The catch is a so-called Tiffany type (Tiffany did not make findings these were made by a company called "Blancard") and the pin on this badge opens about 45 deg.

Tod, you mentioned the building still stands. Just out of curiosity, what is its current use?

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for this post including all the relevant information on the maker as well as the related military avaition activity in the New York area during that timeframe. This wing measures just over 92 millimeters. Purchased a few years back with the aviator certificate showing Alfred M. Green wearing this wing.

Pete

post-12287-0-70605400-1578264983_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-16976100-1578265001_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-45065800-1578265019_thumb.jpg

Terrific wing and supporting documentation!

Here's a 8 X 11 inch period studio photograph of a USAS Pilot wearing a Dreher-made wing. Taken in San Diego...

Dreher Pilot Wing B.jpg

Dreher Pilot Wing D.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

This is one of those wish list wings that I have for my collection. I really like this pattern a lot. Other than abject lusting after this WWI Wing #2, I have nothing else to add to this thread!

Thanks for sharing it.

Patrick

Here's a 8 X 11 inch period studio photograph of a USAS Pilot wearing a Dreher-made wing. Taken in San Diego...

Russ,

That is an amazing photograph! Super clear and a wonderful image of the wing!

Chris

• 2 years later...

The Putnam Green auction gave us an opportunity to compare three Dreher wings side-by-side and in similar lighting:

Dreher.jpg.f32b6acdbae5b28fa234af06e3f98549.jpg

1) RMA (large)

2) RMA (small)

3) BMA

Chris