52nd Troop Carrier Wing WW2

irish

Here is a not often seen DI for the AAF 52nd Troop Carrier Wing. A sterling pinback made WW2 piece. I was able to acquire this and a British made version recently from an older collection. Included is a brief account below of the 52nd activities in the war..Thanks wiki.

The 52nd and its attached units had seen some action as indicated by the number airborne drops and glider tows they participated in.

The 52nd Wing and its subordinate units deployed to North Africa in 1943 and were assigned to 12th Air Force. The wing's five groups carried Army parachutists and towed gliders during Operation Husky, the invasion of Sicily..

In June 1944 the wing dropped paratroopers in Normandy as well as flying numerous missions to bring in reinforcements and supplies...

During Operation Market Garden in September 1944 the 52nd dropped paratroops, towed gliders, and flew resupply missions. They would also participate in the invasion of southern France in August 1944.

They flew support to the 101st Airborne Division in the Battle of the Bulge by towing gliders full of supplies near Bastogne on 27 December 1944.

And if that was not enough they participated in the Operation Varsity air assault across the Rhine River in early 1945. The wing operated until V-E Day returning to the United States and inactivation in 1946.

post-758-0-49739000-1578075918.jpg

irish could you please post a photo of the backside? Thank you.

It is currently mounted to a display board. If in the future I remove it I will post the reverse.

• 9 months later...

Not trying to crash in on the thread, but since your DI is mounted, I can provide pics of mine.

For reference, here is the front and back of mine, same English made.

This is Massaro 52A1.

I also have the very rare opposite facing, Massaro 52A2.

John

52nd Trp Cr Wg 52A1 NHM  English Made 001.jpg

52nd Trp Cr Wg 52A1 NHM  English Made 002.jpg