Percussion Caps

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a couple of tins of percussion caps that I could use a bit of help with identifying. The cap tins came along with a Model 1863 US rifled musket that was complete with quite a few period accouterments. The collector documented buying this rifle in the 1950s but there is no provenance further back that this date.

One tin can is shorter than the other and has no label or markings. The other tin can is taller and has a complete label indicating UK manufacture. I am wondering about the time frame for these. Since the light blue label indicates makers to the military and colonial departments I presume they have some age. Made for the American trade as far back as the US Civil War perhaps?

Thanks for looking.

Brit percussion caps.JPG

Brit percussion cap can.JPG

Brit percussion cap can 2.JPG

Brit percussion cap can 3.JPG

Look like standard caps made for military muskets. Those are still being made today. Sorry, I can't help with the age on those.

RustyCanteen

I think this dates closer to WWII than the 19th century. Eley and Kynoch were separate entities until a point, and the 'Imperial Chemical Industries Limited' would date to no earlier than the mid-1920s.

From wiki "which was a founding element of Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd (ICI) in 1926. Once Nobel Industries, including Kynoch Ltd, had merged to form ICI[5], the original Kynoch factory in Witton became the head office and principal manufacturing base of the "ICI Metals Division". Kynoch, along with names such as Eley, became brands of subsidiaries." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kynoch