The Movie "Sole Survivor" 1970

P-59A

In another post time confused two shows I saw back in the 70's into one. I made a mistake as to what I saw as a kid at the Planes of Fame and the Cars of Stars way back in the days when it was located in Buena Park. What they had on display was the B-25 used in the TV movie "Sole Survivor". What ever happened to that bomber?

post-169522-0-75159600-1577873874.jpg

North American TB-25JN Mitchell c/n 108-34254, s/n 44-30979....these are possible tail numbers. The following is from Baugher's list. 30979 converted to TB-25N. Reported at Air Museum, Ontario, CA Sep 1967.
and was noted at Planes of Fame, Chino, CA in 1976. Still there
in 1990.

The "Lady Be Good" story has always been intriquing to me since I first learned of the discovery of the nearly intact B-24 in the Libyan desert in Feb 1959. I followed the tale through the discovery of the remains of 9 of the 10 crewmen. A sad story of these young men on their first combat mission, who got lost. The probable cause was simply, inexperience.

The "Sole Survivor' film is of course based on the "Lady". There were many B-25s around in 1970 since they continued in the USAF inventory through the 1950s and perhaps later,The most famous use of original B-25s were the 16 used in "Catch-22' in around 1968. Wonder if the "Sole Survivor" B-25 was one of them? Apparently the "King 9 Will Not Return" story was a Twilight Zone radio story.

I watched "Sole Survivor" through the link again. Anyway thanks for posting & Happy New Year. Bobgee

P.S. I did some searching and found "King Nine Will Not Return" was also a Twilight Zone episode starring actor Robert Cummings which aired in 1960. It can only be viewed for $1.99 through different sources. A different plot than "Sole Survivor". I listened to the radio how on YouTube. Was strange listening to a radio show after all these years! I grew up with the Radio and it was great. Bob

BILL THE PATCH

Old radio shows are great, my wife listens to suspense theater, theater 5, i also listen to them. I use to fall asleep .

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

phantomfixer

I will watch "Sole Survivor" tonight, I did watch "King 9 Will not Return" years ago as a kid...and always thought King 9 was based on Lady be Good...

I will watch "Sole Survivor" tonight, I did watch "King 9 Will not Return" years ago as a kid...and always thought King 9 was based on Lady be Good...

Both were based on Lady be Good. Sole Survivor takes it a place Serling could not due to time and budget limitations.

This came in from History guy from the W-A's web site. Can anyone add to this?... Unfortunately it was scrapped, but I could not determine what year. it says a fiberglass mock-up was built from molds made off 44-30979. I have no idea what as on display at Buena Park-- the metal plane or studio mock-up.