Questions About 167th Alabama Regiment & Great Uncle

BryanJ

Publication: The Anniston Star

Issue Date: Friday, April 29, 1927

Page: Page 5

MRS. FANNIE SUGGS PASSES AWAY AFTER 5 MONTHS ILLNESS

Mrs. Fannie Suggs, 66, beloved Anniston woman, died at her residence at 8 o'clock Thursday night after an Illness of about five months. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Annie Jemison of Altha Fla, and one sister, Mrs. Margie Ogle, of Anniston. Burial arrangements are to be announced later, pending the arrival of her daughter from Florida. Mrs. Suggs was a woman of fine Christian character, being member of the Glen Addle Baptist church. I have returned home.

Publication: Keansburg News

Issue Date: Friday, August 6, 1943

Page: 14

The other day veterans of the 42nd Division of World War I held their reunion in Tulsa, Okla.

Note: This is just an excerpt of what was in the article that had to do with the Battle of La Croix Rouge Farm.

From March 31 to June 21 the division occupied the Baccarat sector in Lorraine, moving from there to Chatel-sur-Moselle in the Vosges. Then came July, with its heavy fighting in the Champagne and Champagne-Marne areas. The highlight of the 42nd division's activities at this time would seem to be that terrific battle of La Croix Rouge Farm. Forty-Second Division added many names to Roll of Heroes besides Gen. Douglas MacArthur, who has become one of the outstanding heroes of World War II, the Rainbow division included in its personnel others who were marked for future fame. Among these were Col. William J. ("Wild Bill") Donovan, Brig. Gen. Charles P. Summerall, Father James P. Duffy, chaplain of New York's "Fighting Irish" (the 165th infantry), and Sergt. Joyce Kilmer, destined to be remembered not so much for his exploits in war. This farm was a low, widespread group of stone buildings connected by walls and ditches. The Germans had made an enormous machine gun nest of this natural stronghold, and had defied several earlier determined efforts of Allied troops to dislodge them from this key position. The 167th and the 168th infantry regiments, old Alabama and Iowa troops respectively, struggled all day, July 26, against this nest of horrors. It was practically impossible to rush this enemy stronghold across the open endeavors to work around the edges were thrown back by flanking fire; an accurate punishing shell fire from the German artillery ripped through the wet underbrush; gas, made doubly dangerous by the moisture, swirled about in terrible gusts. Wounded lay in the mud and muck. There were no roads to the rear through the woods by which ambulances could be brought up to remove these wounded. Snipers picked off many officers. The men, deprived of leadership, still struggled forward as best they could, but each successive repulse was more costly than the last. At last, two platoons of assembled casuals volunteers, all, from the 167th and 168th led by two lieutenants, squirmed their way forward, indian fashion, and closed upon the farm buildings with grenades and bayonet. The raid, staged at dusk, was successful. The 42nd possessed La Croix Rouge farm at nightfall, but at a fearful cost in dead and wounded.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread. I’m Partial to 167th due to the fact I’m from Alabama and own the home of Captain Robert Dobbins company “I”. He was wounded from mustard gas and was never the same.

Marty

I am not in to WW1 per say but had to read all here this morning and am amazed at the research done on this in such a short time. Wonderful and mind opening to the losses we as a nation had in WW1! Thanks to all concerned!!!

Well Done!

• 1 month later...

post-1337-0-10973800-1585237162_thumb.jpgSome more info regarding Monroe SUGGS now resting in France;

OISE_ AISNE US Cemetery (Fere en Tardenois)

Grave 54 Blolck B

Row 20

post-1337-0-32758000-1585237148_thumb.jpg