The last of the Hiroshima Crewmen

illinigander

Two years ago I had the honor and pleasure to talk with Russell Gackenbach in his apartment. He was the navigator aboard the B-29 Necessary Evil. This year we went back to the same senior housing complex to visit a realtive and learned that Russell had passed on November 13th. I will quote some of his obit from the Senior Center's obit. "Russell E. Gackenbachh, 96, passed away on November 13, 2019. He moved into Regency Oaks in 2013, and most recently resided at our Health Center. Russell's claim to fame, as a 2nd Lieutentant in the 93rd Bombardment Squadron and in the 509th Composite Group, was that he flew in the B-29 Necessary Evil during the August 1945 Hirroshima bombing mission and in the Enola Gay during the Nagaski bombing mission. Russell was born on March 23, 1923 in Allentown, Pennsylvania. He enlisted in the Avation Cadet program of the Army Air Corps military service in January 1943. Russell was commissioned as a navigator in February, 1944... After his training, recruiting offical Col. Paul Tibbets approached Russell to join a dangerous mission that could end the war, if successful. Tibbets and a group of officers- the 509th Composite Group- underwent months of training. They were then transferred to an American air base on the island of Tinian in the Pacific. On August 6, 1945 Russell was the navigator aboard Necessary Evil, one of two B-29's that accompanied the Enola Gay. The mission of Russell's aircraft was strike observation and photography." May they all rest in peace, and I thank President Truman for his decision as my father was to be one of the soldiers slated for the invasion of Japan.

Illinigander

RIP in peace Airman

I agree with the above comment ...”I thank President Truman for his decision as my Father, who was in the 86th ID, also was to be one of the soldiers slated for the invasion of Japan.”

RIP 2nd Lieutentant Russell E. Gackenbachh.

Likewise, had President Truman not made the decision to drop the bombs my siblings and I would most likely not be here today. My emoji pic that I use on the forum is that of my father while in Japan as part of the occupation forces. He was in the 2nd Marine Division. GOD BLESS President Truman and all the military veterans, both alive and those who have passed, for making this country what it is today.

The men are passing more quickly now. Like wise my uncle was resting after he survived Iwo with the 4th Marine Division. Next beach was in Japan.

My Uncle was 1st Cav Div in the Philippines, ready to go.

God bless the employees of Boeing, the B-29 and the men that flew her.

Wharf

This is slightly off topic, but some may find it interesting.

when I was a little kid growing up in Matawan NJ it was rumored that "the guy who dropped the atomic bomb" lived a few blocks away. I had forgotten about this until a few years ago and started researching the background of Robert A. Lewis, co-pilot of the Enola Gay. Yes! According to the Monmouth Cty historical society he lived in Matawan in the mid-60's (the address matches up perfectly). He s buried in Holmdel, NJ the next town over.

Thank you all for your responces. We must always remember and pass the word. God Bless the American citizen soldier!

Illinigander