Accidentally bought a PASGT to ACH conversion, how rare?

ClaptonIsGod

I saw a helmet on eBay a few days ago described as a Desert Storm PASGT helmet. It had an early reversible ACH cover on backwards, ACH pads, and an ACH chinstrap, so I figured it walked and talked like a duck and perhaps the seller was mistaken. Got it for a good price, opened it up, and realized I was the mistaken one but pleasantly so.

It is a small PASGT, converted to ACH configuration in January 2005. It was repainted with ACH paint and texture (inside also painted green), given Velcro for the pads, and it appears the suspension holes were filled and redone for the chinstrap. There is a hole on the back, which I guess was for a google retention strap.

Cover is dated 2004, elastic band is unmarked, and chinstrap is from Gentex. Since Gentex makes ACHs, going to assume they converted it, assigned the serial number, etc.

I kind of played myself thinking I was getting an ACH under the radar, but I have often heard of the PASGTs that were converted to ACHs in the initial deployment period when ACHs were at a shortage. Was this done for all branches, or just the Marines (thought I read something about how only they got conversions)? Pad markings included as perhaps they also give a date clue.

Overall it appears brand new, somehow it fell through the cracks.

How many of these were converted, and anyone else have one?

ocAQb9q.jpg

mbnmaCQ.jpg

bHa1P1J.jpg

3QxxnA9.jpg

6yQK9eJ.jpg

c7QQxUI.jpg

CECMgg3.jpg

I'd say this is a frankenstein helmet someone threw together. That information label isn't one that I've encountered on US made lids, it looks more akin to the RBR labels. The chinstrap is one of the later ones with the earlier being green. One of the pads pictured is contracted dated to 2007. I'm not sure what this is, but I don't think it would have been something worn by US personnel.

By this point you're getting deploying units issued the MICH helmet, and if they didn't have that one, they'd have their issued PASGT. Kpots were certainly upgraded, and others used well past the ACH issue, but most of those you see will have Oregon Aero or Skydex brands used to upgrade them. One PASGT in my collection was used in Iraq in 2007 because the guy said he preferred how comfortable it was compared to his ACH. I don't have a good vibe from this helmet.

The label makes me think this was part of a small lot of helmets that were converted. I don't know why, but it is interesting. The 2007 date doesn't concern me, I figure pads get sweaty and nasty, then tossed and replaced as needed.

Here is a converted one my son picked up at a military show: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/328964-usaf-pasgt-kevlar-helmet-for-review/?hl=%2Boregon+%2Baero

The label makes me think this was part of a small lot of helmets that were converted. I don't know why, but it is interesting. The 2007 date doesn't concern me, I figure pads get sweaty and nasty, then tossed and replaced as needed.

Here is a converted one my son picked up at a military show: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/328964-usaf-pasgt-kevlar-helmet-for-review/?hl=%2Boregon+%2Baero

Very nice converted PASGT he picked up. For whatever reason it seems security forces tend to wear those covers backwards with the flap up front. Picked an ACH up over the weekend where it was flipped around as well. The only difference being that it had a UCP cover on it, and they had sharpied their name/rank on a piece of tape and slapped it across the back.

The other part of this is the label itself, "NIJ: IIIA" would be civilian to show its armor rating. It also lacks any indication that there was a contract number or NSN. For a lot of reasons this helmet doesn't make sense to have been used by a service member.

Sorry Cap, I concur with Redleg. The suspension and pads are brand new. Someone converted the surplus helmet outside military.

Matts, thats one good example of real USAF issued upgraded K-pot.

Back in the early 2000s, my former law enforcement agency received a crate of new PASGTs. I wonder if these were converted for LE use?

Would make everything make more sense except the desert cover. Seller could have thrown that on there as an easy 'conversion' to military to confuse the unsuspecting buyer.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Disregarding the ACH parts this is not an actual US government PASGT shell. The label is not something seen on PASGTs, the color of the Kevlar on the inside is different, and it looks to me like the shape of the helmet is slightly different.

While we're on the subject, here is a PASGT with an Oregon Areo conversion kit that was used by a US Army soldier in Iraq.

post-153751-0-02338800-1577834819_thumb.jpg

This looks like a commercially produced pasgt helmet. I've found a few like this made by Gentex in the 90s that were also painted green inside and out. I know pasgt helmets were converted with the pad system during OIF/OEF, but they were not repainted.

This looks like a commercially produced pasgt helmet. I've found a few like this made by Gentex in the 90s that were also painted green inside and out. I know pasgt helmets were converted with the pad system during OIF/OEF, but they were not repainted.

Wouldn't that also fit my LE use theory?