AWSOME WW2 USMC PARAMARINE SILVER STAR GROUP

dpast32

Good Morning Kids, I hope everyone had a truly nice Christmas Season. Perhaps someone's already called attention to this, perhaps not, but in any case, here it is. I found this on m E-Mail this morning & I'm sure many here will appreciate it, & maybe even purchase it if they happen to have $5,000 just lying about ? Here it is;

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-usmc-paramarine-1st-parachute-battalion-named-silver-star-grouping?variant=31134182113349&trk_msg=EJJ6PJF3K6H4J3D2C6O8MD5GTG&trk_contact=CEREKGJMPHLOPDD9M0BV9N7AJ0&trk_sid=AAM60KLC8VTLFAOG2V5N82K86O&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=20191228&utm_content=20191228

Best, dpast32

Interesting that the PH is not named he was WIA in August 42 (the same action in which he earned his Silver Star at Gavutu) The Marine Corps was officially naming WIA PHs at this time but I do not believe it was a universal thing. Not sure what the protocol was regarding them officially engraving WIA PHs but Ive seen a number of them. Looks like they have his records but I dont see any indication that it is clear when his PH was awarded and my what specific command.

Looks like he was also in post-war Japan per the Yokohama marking on the flag (or he acquired it otherwise). At $5K, is it worth the price of admission? Just asking as this grouping value is out of my knowledge base, but if all legit, it looks to be a killer grouping.

I have sand from Gavutu, so I just need to ad the grouping to my collection to make it complete.

Kurt Barickman

I wonder if the uniform or visor hat is named? I have seen that officer quality tunic with some either early or high ranking NCO enlisted groups before.

Kurt

Per ancestry, Luther was the oldest of several sons born in Louisiana in 1918 (or 20?) to Ohio/ Illinois-born farming parents, who were living in the Chicago area during WW2. He died pretty young in 1973 in his mid-50s in Alameda, CA (per California Death Index) but is buried at the National Cemetery in Portland, OR. The grave marker notes the SS AM and PH, and service WWII, Korea and Vietnam. (should have been more GCM bars?) Lots of USMC muster rolls on ancestry and Fold3. This photo was from his mother's Findagrave memorial and looks to be taken in the late 1960's. I'd guess he's the man standing on the far left.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/3910923/luther-h-magee

post-18406-0-02889200-1577556140.jpg

post-18406-0-96266200-1577556184_thumb.jpeg

Sorry for the belated reply to 'where it's at', but I just got online now. IMA had been in business for many years now, but you never know where & how of what they offer. I will say though, the often offer some exceptional stuff, both militaries & collectable firearms. As for myself, I can only dream about a group like this. The closest I'll ever get to a Paramarine group is the PHM w/ Gold Star that I just happened across years ago, which researched out to a guy from Co. K, 3rd Marine Parachute Bttn, & later Co. E, 2 / 28 Marines on Iwo. He would have climbed Suribachi except for he was being treated at the BAS for an SFW he received on 02/21. He & Ira Hayes shared a foxhole during the Hill 1000 fight on Bougainville. The Gold Star was for his 2nd wound on Iwo, on 03/05, for which he was evacuated out. My only regret with it is that the guy wasn't from R.I., but Texas. ( Not anything against Texas just that I collect primarily R.I. ! )

Best, dpast32

Comes from a solid, military family. Father WWI Army Sergeant first class, Mechanized, and younger brother, Harold, PVT USMC Korea.

post-18406-0-39964300-1577567852_thumb.jpg

post-18406-0-00310400-1577567882.jpg

post-18406-0-66429200-1577567991.jpeg

That Silver Star is absolutely fantastic. Sorry to hear of retired GySgt Dan Kounovsky's passing. He was a proud Marine, an avid & excellent medal collector and a friend for many years. May he and Sgt Magee Rest in Peace/ Semper Fi! Bob

RE:Dan Kounovsky, retired USMC: I knew well a Dan (I thought, Konowsky) retired Sgt, MP, Vietnam vet who lived in Southern California. We were good collecting friends back in the 70s/80s. He collected first Third Reich German Police items, and then moved on to USMC valor medals. Would this be the same person? If so, I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

Steve

The medal group was owned by George Harris for many years. He then sold it to Bob Felt who lived in the Seattle area around 1990. Bob then sold it to Steve Ackley who then sold it to Dan. I've seen the group many times over 30+ years. While the medals have always been with the group. However, I've never seen the uniform or some of the insignia until now. I think I have the original listing for the group when Geroge sold it. I will try to find it and post it.

******SPOILLER******

I would slow down with this grouping. While the silver star and good conduct medal are named the uniform is not . Look between the lines.

The Pfc stripes are late war. Why would he have Pfc stripes on his Paramarine coat when he made Sgt. Before the Paramrines were even put together? All other items are easy to throw together. Silver star is beautiful but I believe that everything was thrown together around the medals. Maybe those bring backs were his but Thats were you have to put in the trust.

The medal group was owned by George Harris for many years. He then sold it to Bob Felt who lived in the Seattle area around 1990. Bob then sold it to Steve Ackley who then sold it to Dan. I've seen the group many times over 30+ years. While the medals have always been with the group. However, I've never seen the uniform or some of the insignia until now. I think I have the original listing for the group when Geroge sold it. I will try to find it and post it.

As I thought......

To me the medals stand on their own ! Why add the other stuff ?

Thats why I never buy from this place ! No need to enhance this group with unnamed items .

Comes from a solid, military family. Father WWI Army Sergeant first class, Mechanized, and younger brother, Harold, PVT USMC Korea.

The unit for the WW1 vet is 1st Mechanic Regiment Air Service (that's the"AS"). I believe there were two US Army Air Service mechanics regiments in WW1.

Anyone buying this for $5k, for just $20 more, can buy a "Certificate of Authenticity" :rolleyes: A few questions--

1. What does the IMA do with this auction when informed of this post;

2. If the medals alone were valued at $2k by George Harris 30 years ago and sold for that price, what is the sum of the parts value of the genuine medals and the "add- ons" presumably by one or more collectors over 30 years (does it still add up to $5k? or what, in today's market)

3. What exactly does the C.O.A. give a buyer beyond the words below? I don't read their language as a "money back guarantee" if all the items are not attributed to Luther Magee, just a warranty that the items are "period original" and not reproduction. I note that the word "Grouping" is only used once, in the title. Everything else in the description refers to "set". "Original Items: One-of-a-kind set." The only item that has the word "his" is the Silver Star.

So what is the difference between a "group" or "grouping" and a "set". Or is it a distinction without a difference.

Sets and Groups: Grouping different dimensions of data

by Elena Caric | Jul 6, 2017

When first starting Tableau it’s usually the case Groups and Sets get mixed up in people’s heads. This is totally normal as they are so similar. They both combine the units you’ve selected and create a new set or group with the data. There are differences between the two that I will try to sum up.

The most significant difference is that sets are dynamic while groups are not. When your data changes the set will update with it while this is not an option with groups.

Sets offer greater flexibility as you can link them to a condition. An example below will show conditioning.

Sets appear in a separate window below your Measures and subsequently are easier to locate and don’t create clutter.

You can group only within one dimension while with sets you can group across multiple dimensions

https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/elena-caric/sets-groups-grouping-different-dimensions-data/

post-18406-0-77202100-1577637686.jpg