1840 Light Artillery Saber Unit Marking "25 D Battery"

Woodymyster

I have an Ames 1840 Artillery saber made in 1864. I have had numerous CW era swords, but never had one stamped on the drag of the scabbard. I like the font of the stamps, but would like to know if anyone else has experience with this type of unit marking. Marked 25 "D" Battery

Are there others marked similarly?

post-153936-0-03539600-1577289213_thumb.jpg

Woodymeister,

Is your sword federally inspected? Does it have inspector initials on the sword or more importantly the scabbard drag?

The Sword is an Ames 1864 marked blade with CEW Inspector mark on the Ricasso and Pommel. The Inspector stamp is faint like all inspector stamps in between the US and 1864 marks. There are roman numerals? (LIX)? on the edge of the drag, but no Inspector mark.

As far as the Inspector mark on the drag, was this done to all swords? Im used to seeing them on Musician Swords, but not cavalry and artillery swords.

Not all scabbards had inspector markings but they would normally be found on the drag and I was hoping to match the scabbard with the sword in some manner. The Roman numerals are assembly numbers so look closely at the guard on hidden edges such as the inside of the brass guard branches for an "LIX" marking. This would mate the scabbard to the sword during manufacture.

One thought that comes to mind is that the "D Battery" may have bought these swords out of their discretionary funds and property marked them to set them apart from their Government issued swords. Of course you could have an armorer with a set of die stamps that property marked them just like some leather goods (i.e. circa 1900 russet colored sword hangers and knots) were property marked.

A neat period of use marking however it got there.

• 1 month later...

After asking others about this marking, there is a large opinion that the 25 is not a unit but maybe a rack number.

Not that I know anything but I think the fact 25 is a bigger font than the rest of the lettering leads credence to the rack number theory