camo helmet

jeeplover

Hi

Your probably not going to like my answer but based on these pics I will give you my 2 cents, and I stress purely based off of the low rez pics.

The left side swivel bail has been re attached recently as can clearly be seen by the heat marks on the shell where its been spot welded, Ive highlighted this in my picture.

The J hook looks to be reproduction and the chinstraps look NOS if indeed original. Both may be NOS

(new old stock) but have been added at a later time.

With regards to the paint it just looks too new, if I was to take a guess its an old helmet that was missing a bail, the seller re attached the bail and put some new chinstraps on and painted it. There is old rust on the top I can see that clearly shows this lid being painted on top of the rust.

It does not show consistent wear or age, and is still very bright for 80 years. The pattern is consistent with camouflage in the PTO and for me if this even saw a day in service the paint would be dulled more and show at least some scrapes or slight paint loss from going into his sea bag and then storage

Hope this helps

- Dean

Sadly I think this was probably an old shell that’s been touched up. The chinstraps look to be repro and don’t have the correct bar tacking. The thread used is the wrong colour. The replaced loop looks to be fixed while the other is swivel.

This gas detecting paint is still available and with age goes a deeper mustard colour.

I wouldn’t fret about it too much if the helmet was cheap.

it is not as bright as it looks. the chin strap i can not comment on. think about it the replaced bail kind of makes me think even more paint is real why paint it then put bail on.

Burning Hazard

Not a fan of this one either. Chinstraps are reproductions; the hook side chinstrap is way too long.

The paint scheme looks too fresh; you can still buy sealed, original WWII gas detection paint cans and paint your helmets as one notorious forum member had not long ago.

If you can return this one then do it.

Pat

I can see now it’s actually the swivel loop that’s been replaced. Field repairs were usually crudely done by brazing the loop back on.

Take some clearer pictures of the chinstraps and bar tacking, clearer pictures will help. No doubt the vesicant paint is original but it does look fairly new.

Better pictures of the repair and chinstraps may give you a better opinion.

The chinstraps are reproduction for sure.

The swivel hinge looks reweled but the size looks correct. It might be the original hinge.

I can't comment on the paint as the photos don't reveal enough details.

looks like a reenactor's helmet, people have been fabricating repros for many years, the paint loss is probably from the previous owner , it doesnt take much to give it a used look

simply tossing it around , scuffing by rubbing on the ground, leaving it outdoors upside down on wet ground for long periods to age it, the poorly attached repro straps are a sure sign a reenactor used it.

plus the fresh looking camo paint