Fight at the Baraque de Fraiture Crossroads - December 23, 1944

Brian R

Hi Guys - I want to show this interesting but tragic Purple Heart to a New Yorker killed at the Baraque de Fraiture crossroads in Belgium 75 years ago today, on December 23, 1944. I was lucky enough to get it from another collector a year or so ago.

John A Johnson, from Brooklyn, served with 87th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, 7th Armored Division. His unit was added to reinforce positions at the crucial crossroads as St. Vith and the surrounding area were being evacuated. The crossroads was crucial because of its access to multiple roads, its high altitude for the area, and that it was a point to keep the Germans from surrounding the retreating elements from the St. Vith pocket. The men at the crossroads held for days until they were finally overrun by crack German units, particularly 2. SS Panzer-Division. Johnson was likely positioned northwest of Regne, just east of the crossroads, in the direction of Vielsalm. He and the men in which he defended the area were initially reported MIA and were probably lost to the intense shelling by the Germans before and as they attacked the area. Johnson was ultimately recovered and buried at Henri Chapelle but ultimately disinterred and sent back to be buried in NY at the request of his sister and brother. His Report of Burial shows wounds to the legs and head. Johnson was born on May 9, 1912 - at 31 he was likely an older Private among the men.

I started researching and reading about these events during the Battle of the Bulge but then found some great resources on line. He is specifically mentioned on a page about the 87th (on the 7th Armored site) and there is a good write-up about the fighting on the CMH site.

I hope you like it and think of these guys on this day, 75 years later.

Brian

https://www.7tharmddiv.org/baraque-7ad.htm

https://history.army.mil/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_16.htm

post-178066-0-34885800-1577146323_thumb.jpg

Some more perspective - the crossroads is shown here, with the men also known as Task Force Parker, named after Major Arthur C. Parker III, who initially occupied the area with artillery and some 105s on December 19th. This map is included in the After The Battle, Battle of the Bulge book (page 273). You can just see Regne to the right of the crossroads.

post-178066-0-34928000-1577147342.jpg

From the CHP...

But at the crossroads time was running out. Shortly after 1600 the German artillery really got to work, for twenty minutes pummeling the area around the crossroads. Then, preceded by two panzer companies (perhaps the final assault had waited upon their appearance), the entire rifle strength of the 4th Panzer Grenadier Regiment closed upon the Americans. Outlined against new-fallen snow the line of defense was clearly visible to the panzers, and the Shermans had no maneuver room in which to back up the line. The fight was brief, moving to a foregone conclusion. At 1700 the commander of F Company asked Billingslea for permission to withdraw; but Gavin's order still was "hold at all costs." Within the next hour the Germans completed the reduction of the crossroads defense, sweeping up prisoners, armored cars, half-tracks, and the three howitzers. Three American tanks managed to escape under the veil of half-light. Earlier they had succeeded in spotting some panzers, who were firing flares, and knocked them out. A number of men escaped north through the woods; some got a break when a herd of cattle stampeded near the crossroads, providing a momentary screen. Company F of the 325th Glider Infantry suffered the most but stood its ground until Billingslea gave permission to come out. Ultimately forty-four of the original one hundred sixteen who had gone to the crossroads returned to their own lines. Drastically outnumbered and unable to compensate for weakness by maneuver, the defenders of the Baraque de Fraiture crossroads had succumbed, like so many small forces at other crossroads in the Ardennes.

The dent made here at the boundary between the 3d Armored and the 82d Airborne Divisions could all too quickly develop into a ragged tear, parting the two and unraveling their inner flanks. The next intersection on the Liège road, at Manhay, was only four miles to the north. From Manhay the lateral road between Trois Ponts and Hotton would place the Germans on the deep flank and rear of both divisions. Generals Rose and Gavin reacted to this threat at once; so did General Ridgway. Order followed order, but there remained a paucity of means to implement the orders. The deficit in reserves was somewhat remedied by the troops of the 106th Division and the 7th Armored who, all day long, had been pouring through the lines of the 82d Airborne after the hard-fought battle of St. Vith.5 General Hoge, CCB, 9th Armored commander, had been told at noon to send his 14th Tank Battalion to bolster the right flank of the 82d. One tank company went to the Manhay crossroads; the rest moved into Malempré, two miles to the southeast and off the Liège highway. Coincident with the German attack at Baraque de Fraiture General Hoge received a torrent of reports and orders. By this time Hoge was not sure as to either his attachment or mission. He finally gathered that the Baraque de Fraiture crossroads had been lost and CCB was to join the defense already forming on the road to Manhay.

respectingthesacrifice

Nice tribute indeed.

Nice to see picture in post 3. I was lucky to travel there in Winter and liked that many places did not really change vs what is was at in 1944-45.

See some pictures I posted then, from post 8

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/214707-the-bulge-photos-taken-in-winter/

Eric

Lucky 7th Armored

Thank you for posting!! I haven’t seen too many 7th AD items for sale or for show lately so this was nice to see. Great research and write up!

Rest In Peace, Soldier!

(Shameless plug, but if you think of moving it, think of me!)

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I'm glad you like it and can appreciate its historical significance combined with Johnson's tragic loss.