Winter Snow at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery

james127

This is my attempt at a Christmas edition of History Traveler, which mashes together high profile forensics, two massacres (one from WWII), St. Louis Cardinals baseball, slow motion footage of deer in the snow, the Civil War and the Christmas story. Hopefully it works. Merry Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTkNB-HSiE

Very nice video. My uncle is buried there in a mass grave. I was told by my Mother that St. Louis was picked to bury those boys because the crew came from different points across the U.S. and St. Louis was a central location.

Very nice video. My uncle is buried there in a mass grave. I was told by my Mother that St. Louis was picked to bury those boys because the crew came from different points across the U.S. and St. Louis was a central location.

Oh wow. I probably walked right by his grave then. There are a bunch right there in the section of the cemetery. Do you happen to know if he was a crewman on a bomber? That seemed to be what I saw the most. And thanks for the information on why they are all at Jefferson Barracks.

Oh wow. I probably walked right by his grave then. There are a bunch right there in the section of the cemetery. Do you happen to know if he was a crewman on a bomber? That seemed to be what I saw the most. And thanks for the information on why they are all at Jefferson Barracks.

Yes, they were about half of the crew on a 90th Bomb Group B-24 that went down 11 Jan. 1945 over Luzon. Half the crews remains could be identified so those were shipped to home of record. There were 12 men on board and six are buried together there at Jefferson Barracks. My Uncle was 2nd Lt. Clinton T. Ferguson and he was the navigator on Lt. Ryder's crew. Ryder is also one of those in the same mass grave as my uncle.

Yes, they were about half of the crew on a 90th Bomb Group B-24 that went down 11 Jan. 1945 over Luzon. Half the crews remains could be identified so those were shipped to home of record. There were 12 men on board and six are buried together there at Jefferson Barracks. My Uncle was 2nd Lt. Clinton T. Ferguson and he was the navigator on Lt. Ryder's crew. Ryder is also one of those in the same mass grave as my uncle.

Wow. I just looked it up. I was right there in the same corner of the cemetery from where your uncle is buried. The graves of LT Blassie and the mass grave that I show in the video are just a few hundred yards away. Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to go by his grave the next time that I go through there.

Amazing job! I have three relatives buried there and have never been due to being away for so long. Next time I get to St Louis to see the family I am going to stop.

Thanks.

This is my attempt at a Christmas edition of History Traveler, which mashes together high profile forensics, two massacres (one from WWII), St. Louis Cardinals baseball, slow motion footage of deer in the snow, the Civil War and the Christmas story. Hopefully it works. Merry Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTkNB-HSiE

Great video.Well done.... we can coexist in death but not so much in life.

I knew Glenn McDole who was a Palawan survivor and even testified in the War Crime Trials.I have a copy of his book.He often would speak at events.Glenn passed in 2009.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/ankeny/2019/07/15/iowa-wwii-veteran-glenn-mcdole-pow-escape-palawan-massacre-award-bronze-star-purple-heart-world-war/1736907001/

Amazing job! I have three relatives buried there and have never been due to being away for so long. Next time I get to St Louis to see the family I am going to stop.

Thanks.

Thanks! Appreciate that. You'll have to check out episode 1 on that same channel. That was my first visit to Jefferson Barracks and features a lot more notable graves. It's quite the place.

Great video.Well done.... we can coexist in death but not so much in life.

I knew Glenn McDole who was a Palawan survivor and even testified in the War Crime Trials.I have a copy of his book.He often would speak at events.Glenn passed in 2009.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/ankeny/2019/07/15/iowa-wwii-veteran-glenn-mcdole-pow-escape-palawan-massacre-award-bronze-star-purple-heart-world-war/1736907001/

Oh my gosh. How cool to have known one of those guys. There weren't many.

• 1 month later...

Did you happen to look for and find the mass grave for the crew and paratroopers of plane 66? That's the C47 that carried the E co, 506th company command group. They were shot down the night of June 6th 1944 over Normandy. This was 1LT Meehan's stick. They are interred at Jefferson Barracks as well.

Did you happen to look for and find the mass grave for the crew and paratroopers of plane 66? That's the C47 that carried the E co, 506th company command group. They were shot down the night of June 6th 1944 over Normandy. This was 1LT Meehan's stick. They are interred at Jefferson Barracks as well.

Yes, I actually visited that grave on a prior video. I happened to be there exactly 75 years to the minute that their plane went down. Here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVpS0PgciPM

• 2 weeks later...

That's cool that you were there 75 years to the minute they were killed. Good video! Keep it up!

It was pretty moving. I just got back from a trip to France and went to the exact spot where the plane went down. That video will be forthcoming.