U.S. Navy jumper with Arizona embroidery

Pbaczuk

Merry Christmas. Here is a tunic that seems prewar. Inside has embroidery for a W.Bpost-162927-0-95481400-1577040815_thumb.jpg. Whitmore and Ariz on top. It seems far fetched that the Ariz is for the USS Arizona but I want to rule it out. Is there a roster for the ships crew for the 1930s to 1941?

I've seen a few of these. Usually they are assumed to be Arizona related, but I would say the only true way to know that is with proof in each case via records, because jumpers got reused (even private purchased ones) and I have seen new embroidery from the 2nd owner added to a secondhand jumper. Basically you want to identify the guy, match his rate or rank, and then verify his duty stations.

In this case I would concur it looks to be a nice mid to late 1930s jumper, and I don't see anything offhand that would make me doubt the likelihood it belonged to a crewmember. If I were you I would look into hiring a researcher to pinpoint and verify everything matches as it should. Your sailor could potentially be George Charles Whitmore who enlisted October 16, 1934.

Thank you for your reply. Is there someone that you recommend?

Hi, I'll send you a PM.