Augusta Arsenal Refurbed M1911A1 Pistol

1srelluc

I picked-up this Augusta Arsenal refurbed M1911A1 in a gun/knife trade today. I normally would have not messed with it but I have a AA refurbed M1911 and i knew it shot well so I figured why not.

'43 Colt frame.

Remington-Rand slide.

Blued Flannery barrel.

Colt-Risdon (C-R) mag.

DSCN9537-2.jpg

DSCN9545-2.jpg

Very nice looking A1 refurb. It goes along nicely with your 1911 refurb!!

I believe Arsenal refurbished 1911s are under appreciated by many collectors.

Chris

Very nice looking A1 refurb. It goes along nicely with your 1911 refurb!!

I believe Arsenal refurbished 1911s are under appreciated by many collectors.

Chris

Given what they could be had for over current collector's lifetimes I can sorta understand as they are pretty much just a collection of parts. Kind of like what has happened to the prices of all mil-surps we used to get dirt cheap.

It's still hard for me to believe what folks paid for the current Annision Depot refurbs sold through the CMP but they are part of the M1911 series military history and no more will be refurbed/re-issued by the military.

The latest date a Augusta Arsenal marked refurb could have been done is 1955 when they closed. Since they were re-issued (the M1911A1s) so in my mind that makes the AA marked A1 examples a bit more "desirable" than the current 1980s Annison refurbed M1911A1s.

My understanding was that most of the the older M1911s were surplused off and sold through the NRA/DCM after refurb.

Given what they could be had for over current collector's lifetimes I can sorta understand as they are pretty much just a collection of parts. Kind of like what has happened to the prices of all mil-surps we used to get dirt cheap.

It's still hard for me to believe what folks paid for the current Annision Depot refurbs sold through the CMP but they are part of the M1911 series military history and no more will be refurbed/re-issued by the military.

The latest date a Augusta Arsenal marked refurb could have been done is 1955 when they closed. Since they were re-issued (the M1911A1s) so in my mind that makes the AA marked A1 examples a bit more "desirable" than the current 1980s Annison refurbed M1911A1s.

My understanding was that most of the the older M1911s were surplused off and sold through the NRA/DCM after refurb.

They aren't Anniston Depot refurbs, they are from Anniston storage. Makes and marks have from been all over the place & history up to the mid-80's. Army and Marine, and at least one Navy. Mine was an AA marked 1918 Colt 1911 lower and a Springfield (some say Savage) slide. Not parked. Circa mid-1920's probably.