The movie Patton.... Trivia

The Rooster

You will find the actual speech that General Patton gave to the 3rd army... here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton%27s_speech_to_the_Third_Army

I would have posted the speech here but Im sure the servers would have censored it !!!

Historians acclaim the speech as one of Patton's best works. Author Terry Brighton called it "the greatest motivational speech of the war and perhaps of all time, exceeding (in its morale boosting effect if not as literature) the words Shakespeare gave King Henry V at Agincourt."[14]Alan Axelrod contended it was the most famous of his many memorable quotes.[20]

• 1 month later...

Back when the movie came out, you could write the company that produced it and copies of the pages from the script where Patton gives the opening speech. I did just that and had it for years. Long gone at this point. If I recall correctly, I think it was edited down from a longer version that he actually gave.

When the movie came out, there was still a lot of anti-war / anti-military sentiment in the country. Vietnam was still raging. There were predictions that the movie would fail to gain an audience... that proved to be incorrect. It restored a lot of the pride and nostalgia from the WWII era. There were a lot of veterans still around back then, as well as their children. It was a cultural phenomenon that attitudes in general had shifted against the Vietnam War, and yet there was still a sense of pride from our effort and eventual victory in WWII at the same time.

It was a strange time to be alive.

easterneagle87

I have friend who was my assistant and the manager for a pretty well known D-1 college football team. He played Patton, especially the opening speech for some of the players and it got them pretty pumped up before a game.

Back when the movie came out, you could write the company that produced it and copies of the pages from the script where Patton gives the opening speech. I did just that and had it for years. Long gone at this point. If I recall correctly, I think it was edited down from a longer version that he actually gave.

When the movie came out, there was still a lot of anti-war / anti-military sentiment in the country. Vietnam was still raging. There were predictions that the movie would fail to gain an audience... that proved to be incorrect. It restored a lot of the pride and nostalgia from the WWII era. There were a lot of veterans still around back then, as well as their children. It was a cultural phenomenon that attitudes in general had shifted against the Vietnam War, and yet there was still a sense of pride from our effort and eventual victory in WWII at the same time.

I saw it when I was 6, when it came out..... My Dad took my Brother and I to see it.

I didnt really understand it like I do now.

But I remember being shocked by it and impressed by it even at 6.

George C Scott did a great job although Patton did not have George C Scotts Voice !!!

The Real George Patton.

Pay particular attention to the clip from 1:45 to 2:35

Listen to what he says...

Remember the scene where the german tank actually runs over one of the stunt men playing a german soldier?!...that really got my attention as a kid watching that movie!....mike

Remember the scene where the german tank actually runs over one of the stunt men playing a german soldier?!...that really got my attention as a kid watching that movie!....mike

That's in the El Guitar scene, bumps him, he goes down, he is under the tank as it rolls forward, watching again the other night, I did notice he was very close to the track, uncomfortably close, on the tanks left side (Our Left, Thanks Right) as he falls, but when tank moves off scene forward we see he's unharmed and he's holding his helmet.

• 4 months later...
The Rooster
On 2/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, gwb123 said:

The speech that Patton gave in the opening scene of the movie was condensed and altered for the movie.

They really could not use the full speech in the movie because of the language or they would have had to give it an R rating instead of PG.

Its on the net. Its quite a speech. Much more forceful and violent and angry than the movie.

Humorous at times as well.