Airborne First Aid Packet.

dunit35

Picked this up from Bay State Militaria Thursday. Wanted to get everyones opinions on it. Havent found another example with the stitching running the full length between the straps on both sides. Thanks.

post-200443-0-83389700-1576901378.jpeg

Persian Gulf Command

Check the bottom seam of the First Aid Kit and see if there is some residue of the ruberized material that was heat sealed "bleeding" through the cloth. If there is this "bleeding" of the rubber its a good sign if not it calls the item into question. The bottom of the kit was heated and sealed first before the contents were placed in to the kit and this seam appears to have reacted differently than the top seam that was sealed after the contents were inserted. This top seam rarely shows this feature as prominently.

Here is an example showing what I have tried to described:

post-17994-0-20415500-1576902523_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help. I’ll check it when I get it in hand. The lettering all looks correct. The side stitching on the kit is bugging me though.

Persian Gulf Command

Here are two more photos of a sealed kit that the owner has x-rayed in order to verify the contents. Also note that the bottom seam exhibits the same darker band where the heated rubber bled through the material. These are from my photo file and I believe they may be from a member on USMF. Sorry I can not give credit as I do not remember who posted them quite a while back.

My feelings about the side stitching it that continuing the stitch across the whole side, from one strap to the next may have just been the preference of the person doing the job. However, it is different from what is normally seen in verified originals so the kit you are receiving is going to always be seen as "different" from the norm. For the amount you paid having the kit x-rayed may be a good idea.

post-17994-0-57385600-1576942400_thumb.jpg

Persian, thanks for the assistance. I did find another example on another USMF thread from 2011. I might have access to an X-ray machine I could use. The use of an x ray machine would verify the contents but they could still be reproduction contents correct? On my example you can see the outline of a small rectangular box, Im assuming the dressing box. Heres the example I located.

post-200443-0-75742900-1576945344_thumb.jpeg

Persian Gulf Command

There is another example of a "long" stitch. That certainly helps to know that it was done that way. The only question is if the example of the empty kit above is a real one or one of the repro that were made about 30 years ago form army poncho material. To be honest the material does seem to be that poncho type. Its a finer (tighter) weave that is found on the original Parachute First Aid Kits. Also, I do not see any of the "bleeding" of the rubber along the seams in the example above.

Regarding the contents, if you have the kit you purchased x-rayed, varifying that there is a syrete and tournequet inside will be a good at least pointing towards a legit kit.

If I was to buy a kit these would be my points of verification, the order is not a ranking in importance:

1. Provenance connection to an original owner 2. Correct Material 3.Signs of the heat treatment rubber bleeding 4. Verification of contents

I think the packet in the OP and post #8 are late productions after they amended them to include the camouflaged Carlisle packet, instructions, sulfa power and wound tablets. The continuous stitching is conducive from tape to tape consistent with known examples and per Med Department drawing. Having that one X-ray'd would be interesting. Dimensions changed, slightly, to accommodate the added components. It would be interesting to get some actual measurements.

Early production packets should have a 4" inside width opening after the edges have been sealed

When added more components, that inside width was increased to 4-3/4"

I'm curious if those longer stitched types have that wider width.

Height remained the same.

Hopefully the owner of the empty packet in post #8 is around to take a measurement for us.

Persian Gulf Command

dustin,

Great Information. I was not aware about the late production indicators. Also, if there is verification about the long stitch then this feature is a correct for an original item.

Here is another photo of a kit from my files showing the seam and its characteristics. Note: I do not possess this item.

post-17994-0-81402900-1576950247.jpg

Okay, I forgot I had butchered parachute packet. It is of the later type having the longer zig zag stitching. Apparently, existing examples do not exactly meet drawing details. Its opening is 3-3/4" wide. I do have an earlier example and its opening is 3" wide. Each are an inch less than specified but considerably different in dimensions between the two types.

The wider width would allow for the added components.

post-56-0-26497500-1576955356.jpg

using the image above, I marked the location to measure. Here you can measure unopened types either at the top or bottom. I think you'll find the types with just stitching at the tape to be 3 inches wide.

post-56-0-69004100-1576955733_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dustin. Top notch details your provided.

So the later versions, as in the long stitch variety, should be at or close to 3-3/4? That one example I provided the original member says its a Holland example. Do you happen to know when they changed to the later example?

Does that later variety of yours have that rubber bleed through Persian is speaking about?

The longer stitching is detailed by drawing in February 1945. However, they started to add addtional items as early as July 1943. The standard three were the tourniquet, bandage and morphine. First added was the wound tablets, then the sulfanilamide. in July 1944 they changed to the camouflaged Carlisle bandage and instruction sheet was added.

Yes all my packets have the bleed along the edges.

Thanks for the information.

Tough to see any bleed through on my example. I'll have to check in hand. I would assume repro if it doesn't have the bleed through.

Persian, thanks for the assistance. I did find another example on another USMF thread from 2011. I might have access to an X-ray machine I could use. The use of an x ray machine would verify the contents but they could still be reproduction contents correct? On my example you can see the outline of a small rectangular box, Im assuming the dressing box. Heres the example I located.

The dressing's box is good size and takes up the most space......The syrette box is small rectangular and generally located at the bottom....I think yours has the tablets, sitting next to the dressing box, with the torniquit (sp?) behind them...Bodes

Here is a good example posted by M1A1-1944. Note the packet has the extended length stitching and is of the last amended type having the update of the camo Carlisle bandage and other components.

post-56-0-40122500-1577040148_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the view of the interior contents. That tourniquet box must be whats outlined in the front of my example. At least it looks like it anyways.

Thanks for the view of the interior contents. That tourniquet box must be whats outlined in the front of my example. At least it looks like it anyways.

The two I have which have been open have the bandage in front, syrette at the bottom and tourniquet behind the bandage....Here's a link to a forum reference thread that shows the orientation differently, Bodes

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2071-parachute-first-aid-packets/

Received the kit today. Definitely has the bleed through at the bottom. The opening looks to measure 3-3/4 as well. The morphine box is definitely crushed but part of it feels like the crush proof tube is inside. You can feel the tube for the needle which obviously came off the styrette at some point in the last 75 years.

Thanks for the help everyone.

post-200443-0-52207000-1577139458_thumb.jpeg

Persian Gulf Command

dunit35,

Good for you! Now you know you have an original Parachute First Aid Kit. Also, thanks to this thread we all have learned a bit more about these.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year,

John