Civil War 12 pounder

iron bender

This is one of the Traditions .69 caliber smoothbore guns my dad bought back in the 70's, or very early 80's. I've taken it upon myself to make it represent an iron 12 sitting in a #2 carriage. After disassembling the whole thing, I had to move the elevation knob (for some reason it was sitting under the cascable knob). This required doweling the carriage and resetting the brass elevation knob insert about an inch forward. All iron parts have been stripped and machined to give them a more forged appearance, then painted in a flat black lacquer. All wood was cleaned, and where appropriate, edge radiused to remove some of the factory 90 degree edges. The od paint used is the 1944 Militaria midwar German helmet paint. I'm building all new implements (finished the worm today). Next will be hand making iron hardware for the implements and drag rope. I may eventually by another kit (if I can find one that has the same wheels and axle) to build a limber, because why not. Hoping to have it finished by mid spring to get back out to my land to shoot. It's really a lot of fun and my kids love it (probably more than the actual deer hunting we're supposed to be doing). I'll try to get an old video of us shooting it. Anyhow, here's the start....it will never fool anyone as a scratch built piece, but it really looks a lot better than they do factory built

post-166807-0-58246900-1576883289_thumb.jpg

post-166807-0-13201100-1576883302_thumb.jpg

Nice! Just dont get caught by the game warden shooting a deer with a cannon. It might be difficult to explain that one. The .58 would easly take one down. Great Job!