"May God Help My Marines."- Hue City, 1968, Tet Offensive.

ArtyScout

May I ask one tiny little bit of advice? Is there some online resource to look up color samples for the various colors used for ships?

The DE I'm building had a dazzle paint job and I'd like to match the colors. They are listed in the instructions, but the guide is in black and white.

Thanks for any sage advice.

Mikie

Hey Mikie, I found two sites that might help, but I'm still checking for more. Try usndazzle.com or shipcamouflage.com for now. BTW what class DE is your ship?

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks Manny. I'll check them out. It's a John C Butler class DE. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Maybe I'll start a new one. This is my first try at model building in close to 40 years. I appreciate your help.

By the way, I got sympathy pains seeing your poor wounded soldier.

Mikie

Thanks Manny. I'll check them out. It's a John C Butler class DE. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Maybe I'll start a new one. This is my first try at model building in close to 40 years. I appreciate your help.

By the way, I got sympathy pains seeing your poor wounded soldier.

Mikie

Hey Mikie, its quite alright. Anything to help a fellow modeler out. If you check out the sites I gave you; you will see they have dazzle camo for Butler class DE's. I hope they help.

As for my 'poor wounded' Marine, he is basically the basis of my next diorama. Good luck on the DE. I am looking forward to seeing it built.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I have a couple of update pics on my diorama. It's getting close to completion. I did add some slings on my Marine's rifles (not all of them). But this is the street scene. The area that is discolored in the street is me trying my hand at an exploded mortar round. Still working on it. Also I will be adding an electrical pole with wires on the opposite sidewalk. As always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-32412700-1583783820_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-75114900-1583783836_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-19216500-1583783853_thumb.jpg

Hey Lars & Dennis, thanks for the comments. Here are some more preliminary pics. Of course you know that there will be tweaking.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-95317500-1583875083_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-57023800-1583875153_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-42387100-1583875170_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-64589800-1583875190_thumb.jpg

Hey Everyone. Hoping everyone is in good health. Well ALL the tweaking has been done. Sometimes you just have to step back and say "that's it, it looks good".

The only thing to do is to put it on a wooden base which I've already stained. I hope you all like it. My wife loved it, but of course I think she's partial. :-)

As always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-09034500-1584140694_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-48296600-1584140713_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-48443500-1584140728_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-75098100-1584140767_thumb.jpg

Old Crow 1986

THAT is some craftsmanship! Truly enjoy watching your visions come to life. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you all liked it. Now onto the next project. I think I'm going to tweak something from the South Pacific. Let's see how it comes out.

Semper Fi.

Manny

aerialbridge

Fantastic diorama, and amazing attention to detail. Can you post a close up of the handbill on the French colonial wall?

Fantastic diorama, and amazing attention to detail. Can you post a close up of the handbill on the French colonial wall?

Hey A-B, with that poster/handbill I was just putting in my artistic freedom. But I made a close-up for your viewing pleasure.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-50124700-1584667061.jpg

aerialbridge

Manny, VERY COOL!!! You left no stone unturned in your attention to detail in that diorama. It's a tremendous tribute to the Marines that fought and bled in Vietnam, the inspiration for your work. Looking forward to your next masterpiece!

Lars, A-B, Thank you. I will always honor my Marines and all those who fought in Vietnam. It's because 'they never received a heroes welcome', that is something they deserved.

Semper Fi.

Manny

aerialbridge

Lars, A-B, Thank you. I will always honor my Marines and all those who fought in Vietnam. It's because 'they never received a heroes welcome', that is something they deserved.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Amen to that and God bless them all. I lived in DC as a kid from '64 to '74 and saw more than I care to remember of public displays of NOT appreciating the men and women who put on the uniform and went to Vietnam.

Manny, first time I'm posting here on the modeling section, been lurking for years. I have to say your talent for this craft is outstanding. There are many posts but you and Lars never cease to amaze me. Gotta ask a lighthearted question. I've been collecting "stuff" for years, space is always an issue. What to display in the small space I have and what to store away. What happens to a modelers dioramas when completed. Do you have a room, if so would love to see a picture.

Take care and stay safe men, Oh and manny "welcome home"

Tom