WWII Navy Air Squadron Research Tips

36thIDAlex

Hey all!

I seemed to have found a lapse in my collecting knowledge. Today I received the uniform of local veteran Aviation Machinist Mate 2nd Class John Blackford Warder. He was born in Ohio, graduated High School in D.C., and lived the rest of his days after the war in New Albany, Indiana. From what I can tell from his high school yearbook and uniform it looks like he was a Navy aircrewman during the war. I am having trouble, however, in identifying what squadron he may have been with. I have been unable to find any squadron rosters or anything on Fold3 and was wondering if anyone could maybe point me in the right direction!

Thank you, I truly appreciate all the helpful people on these forums

Alex

Maybe....

JEFFERSONVILLE EVENING NEWS OBITUARY – 06/15/1998

Funeral services for John B. Warder, 73, of Floyd Memorial Hospital, will be held at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 16, at Oak Street Chapel of Seabrook Dieckmann & Naville Funeral Home, with burial in Kraft Graceland Memorial Park. He died Saturday, June 13, 1998, at Floyd Memorial Hospital and Health Services. He was an agent for New York Life Insurance Company and a member of American Legion Post 28. Survivors include his wife, the former Janet Johnson; two sons, John B. Warder Jr., Jeffersonville, and Russell J. Warder, West Palm Beach, Fla.; three stepsons, William Coulter, Bloomington, and Paul and Keith Coulter, Jeffersonville; a daughter, Nancy Warder Bierman, Georgetown; and six grandchildren. Visitation at the funeral home will be from 5 to 9 p.m. today, Monday, June 15, and after 11:30 a.m. Tuesday. The family requests that expressions of sympathy take the form of contributions to the American Cancer Society.
NEW ALBANY TRIBUNE OBITUARY – 06/15/1998 - NEW ALBANY
John B. "Jack" Warder, 73, died Saturday at Floyd Memorial Hospital and Health Services. He was a native of Holloway, Ohio, a Navy veteran of World War II, an agent for New York Life Insurance Co. and a member of American Legion Post No. 28. Survivors include his wife, the former Janet Johnson; two sons, John B. Warder Jr. of Jeffersonville and Russell J. Warder of West Palm Beach, Fla.; three stepsons, William Coulter of Bloomington and Paul and Keith Coulter, both of Jeffersonville; a daughter, Nancy Warder Bierman of Georgetown; and six grandchildren. Services are 2:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Oak Street Chapel of Seabrook, Dieckmann & Naville Funeral Home, with burial in Kraft-Graceland Memorial Park. Visitation is 5 to 9 p.m. today and 11:30 to 2:30 p.m. tomorrow. Memorial gifts may go to the American Cancer Society.
COURIER JOURNAL OBITUARY – 06/15/1998 - NEW ALBANY
Jack B. Warder, 73, died Saturday at Floyd Memorial Hospital. He was a native of Holloway, Ohio; a retired agent for New York Life Insurance Co.; a Navy veteran of World War II; and a member of American Legion Post 28. Survivors: his wife, the former Janet Johnson; sons, John B. Jr. and Russell J. Warder; stepsons, William, Paul and Keith Coulter; a daughter, Nancy Warder-Bierman; and six grandchildren. Funeral: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oak Street Chapel, Seabrook Dieckmann & Naville. Burial: Kraft-Graceland Memorial. Visitation: 5-9 p.m. Monday, after 11:30 a.m. Tuesday. Memorial gifts: American Cancer Society.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 5EDCF2D9-5F62-4ADE-9122-AF934915CE44_4_5005_c.jpeg

Yes! That is the veteran. My problem is identifying him to the ship or squadron. Like said above I haven’t been able to find him in the rolls so I’m wondering if they messed up his name or possibly are missing some? I am not sure. I was able to find a photo of him right before he entered service saying he wanted to join the Army Air Corps but I guess he ended up flying in he Navy. That’s unfortunately as far as I have gotten.

Wartime papers in Louisville have yielded no results as of yet. It appears he was born in Ohio, lived in DC for a time where he graduated HS and then joined the service, and seems to have settled down in New Albany, Indiana after the war.

I appreciate all the help so far. I’ve Ben after this uniform for a few years so hoping we can get this pinned down!