Another Midwesterner

comtech0057

I have always had a passion for history especially WW2, but I am new to collecting. Started out with German Helmets about 3 years ago. Last year I was given the chance to purchase several US items from a customer and next thing you know I was bitten by the bug. Another new member Ran or “R. X.” has been very helpful teaching this old guy!

I am from Iowa and just retired after 39 years in corrections and hoping to be able to focus more on collecting.

Found the Forum while doing some research on the 113th Calvary which I have been interested about ever since I lived next door to a former Cavalryman from that unit.

Regards,

Michael

Kurt Barickman

Welcome, what part of Iowa? My wife is getting ready to retire as well with 35 years in corrections.

Thanks for the welcome. I am in Burlington which is in the Southeastern part of the state.

Your wife deserves a medal for working in corrections for 35 years! I don't know what was worse, dealing with the young offenders or the constant policy changes! :unsure:

tdogchristy90

Michael,

It's nice to see another bright eyed enthusiastic person...at least that's the impression I get based off how you're new to US stuff and have the bug.

Welcome.

Being new to collecting I have a lot to learn and that's why I'm here! I've found the Forums is where the guys in the know are and are some of the best places to learn!

Welcome from another SE Iowa boy in Keokuk, retired LE with 31 years in. You'll enjoy it here and lot's of knowledge here and guys very willing to share it. That "Red Horse" stuff is tough to find anymore...George

Thanks George and congratulations on your 31 years as a LEO. It's nice to know that there is someone close by that perhaps can give me some pointers and perhaps knows some local contacts.

I know that the Red Horse stuff is hard to find. Recently I had a new customer who retired as a Brigadier general but started his career with the new 113th as a Second Lieutenant. He knew an old boy that had a lot of WW2 113th stuff and was going to talk to him for me.

Michael