Opinions on 2 Smoke Grenades

amberg1853

Not something that was even on my radar really but stumbled across these two from separate sources. Both have the M201A1 fuze, the one with the stencil is slightly larger, weighs 1 pound 2 ounces and came from the estate of USMC veteran. The smaller one weighs around 11 ounces and is slightly smaller, it just came from a collector I bought a box of stuff from. Not sure about this one, repro maybe? Thanks in advance for your help.

post-66501-0-77473700-1576755117_thumb.jpg

The M8 ( older), M18 and M83 are smoke grenades. The M83 is current issue and slightly smaller in size than the M8 and M18.The Oldest, M8, had toxic fumes and a 150 second burn time. Used primarily for screening not signaling. The Vietnam and post Vietnam M18 had a 90 second burn time. The modern M83 50 second burn time. The M18 and M83 are primarily signaling but can be used for screening. The smaller one pictured is an M83.

Comment, your M18 ink marking looks " off", as does the lot number codes. Is the lettering inked, or painted ? Unscrew the fuzes and take pics of the fuze trains. I wonder if they are live smokes. There are used on the market for collectors. The fuzes are spent, the smoke grenade were discharged under water so no heat discoloration, then filled with plaster for weight. Probably not, but good to know if in your collection.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks stenciled on I guess. Should the M83 have any markings on it, I thought it had been repainted but like I said first time I have got my hands on something like this. Not something I will hang onto but pretty interesting to learn about. Nice collection BTW!