Post War Grumman Avengers at the Smelter

338thRCT

This picture is from Life Magazine in 1950's shows Avenger being fed into the smelter. Note aluminum ingots( the finished product) on foreground and mass of aircraft awaiting fate in background.post-70300-0-47828300-1576679165_thumb.jpg

Wow! That's a eye-opening image! Does the article mention where the "melt-down" is taking place?

It says in the copy thats hard to read that several Hundred TBM Avengers are being scrapped in the Arizona sun.

Sorry for the lack of info. This picture is in a kids scrapbook from the 1950's and too large to put on scanner, so I had to take a snapshot of it. Then i end up putting it in the wrong category!

I tried to find this in the LIFE magazines under google books and couldn't locate it (you can do a word search through all of the issues). The layout doesn't (in my opinion) look like a LIFE mag layout. Almost like a LOOK or COLLIER magazine. But that is just my observation, which probably doesn't mean much.

I've started to look through SEP but doesn't look like their layout either. They usually have a lot of stories. Their (online) archives is harder to search.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...