US Navy M1 Camo Helmet on ebay

mccauslandpara1944

mccauslandpara1944

I have seen various m1 camo painted helmets from WW2, but this one is a first for me. The seller says this one is named. It was originally painted navy gray and then camouflaged. Looking at the pictures, you can see the gray layer of paint where there are chips, but you can also see the brighter green camo paint on some of those gray spots exposed on this helmet. I am personally wary of this one, but maybe others on this forum can add some additional thoughts?

ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Navy-M1-Camo-Helmet-Fixed-bail-Front-Seam-Named-Landing-Combat-Infantry/274144808104?hash=item3fd44dcca8:g:yaYAAOSwyKZd9r5r

Ah, yeah... not thinking so much camo as I am thinking 8 year old aspiring artist.

My thoughts as well. I was considering throwing a few bucks at it, with the idea that I'd strip the top layer "camo" paint, if it goes cheap enough. I'm not holding my breath though, considering how helmet prices on eBay seem to be trending.

Yeah... when I was a kid, I lived in San Diego. Between 1960 and 1965. I had 3 M-1 helmets. Every kid on the block had at least 1. Navy/MC town. Stuff was everywhere.

Point is, we were constantly painting them to look Cool. Made a Medic helmet once, to be like Doc on the tv show Combat. Corpsman on my dads ship gave me one of his old bags full of stuff. Great fun.