WWII Fighter Pilot Grouping: Lt. William Cecil USAAF P-47 Pilot 405th FG, 511 FS

anton67

You're welcome. What a most excellent grouping you acquired! It's absolutely great. I imagine it was somewhat stressful waiting to see if you were the winning bidder, but you did REAL good. Congrats!

Congratulations on a very nice grouping. I'd guess the goggles you have displayed with his summer flight helmet actually came with the German winter flight helmet he picked up as souvenirs?

Great group. The artwork is really superb. You have addressed the hanger wear well. By stuffing the arms, it will prevent undo stress on the compromised leather. Thanks for sharing the group here and congrats!

JD

No. I dont think you have to worry about that. The back of the jacket looks fine. Just keep checking the arm and shoulder wear. You may have to add more support if anything else surfaces. It doesnt look like that will be the case though.

JD

Here is the work of the Jabos as the Germans referred to the fighter bomber.

The picture is taken in the sector where the 511th served.

Thats 8 50s zeroed in on creepy crawlies.

post-51189-0-31949000-1576899299_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I received Cecil's records from Golden Arrow:

Included were Cecil’s Individual Flight Record (IFR) plus the official histories of the 511th for November 1944-September 1945. The December 1944 history is very difficult to read, so they also provided mission reports from the 405th Fighter Group (the parent unit for the 511th Fighter Squadron) for that month. No history was available for June 1945, the month after the war in Europe ended.

War time highlights:

Cecil joined the 511th Fighter Squadron at St. Dizier in the Champagne-Ardenneregion of France on 7 November 1944. He began training flights with the 511th on 16 November 1944 and flew his first combat mission on 2 December.

Cecil was awarded the Air Medal in January 1945.

We were able to confirm that he flew 48 missions as a P-47 pilot through the end of the war.

Cecil was also awarded a First and Second Oak Leaf Cluster for his part in his squadron’s highly successful campaign to cripple Germany’s ability to wage war.

• 2 years later...