• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First complete Mannequin Displays: 29th Division Winter 1944, US Combat Infantryman Fall 1944, Heartbreak Ridge, Dress Uniforms

Hey everyone, in remembrance of the 75th of the Bulge I thought I would spread some reminder of the cold these guys suffered with updated photos of my Winter 29th displays and other setups I’ve been able to do with the mannequins. While I’ve mostly collected dress uniforms, I just believe fill mannequins truly shine with full field setups and as such I’ve tried to come up with a few as I’ve picked up more and more field gear over time. I feel like most of them have come pretty close to completion which is why I post, but of course any help is appreciated. I want to make them as faithful as possible.

This one, while generally representing an enlisted man, actually could very well show the same things it’s originally wearer, Captain William Kenney wore. Kenney used a Garand while in Europe (even brought it home!) and was cited as wearing his “thick overcoat” during the battle for Siersdorf from 16-21 November. This was his last battle where he was wounded and taken from combat positions due to severe stress. This is probably close to identical of what he was wearing in that battle. The SSM was added by me to just show his award around the same time, I have taken it off since.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Photos of 29th members wearing their winter gear, the combatreels 29th ID CD apparently shows the battle of Siersdorf which is where I believe the bottom left photo came from.

Posted Image

Here’s a tabletop version of his Jeep Coat setup and then a full one. I think the tabletop looks better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is a new one supposed to represent the generic GI in the fall of 1944. Eventually I’d like to focus it in on the 36th Division in Italy but until I get the proper footwear it can be someone in Northern France. A backpack might also be nice for this one

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this one is a tabletop I did of Lt. Peter Howland Monfore, a West Point grad who led Co L, 23rd IR, 2nd ID throughout Korea. He was shot and killed in the Battle for Heartbreak Ridge after performing actions which would get him put in for the MOH, later awarded as a DSC. This was his second M43, the one he didn’t wear the day he was shot. It was shipped back to the family after his death.

Posted Image

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

And of course, dress uniforms and mannequin torsos are the perfect combo

USS Wasp Survivor

Posted Image

My Pacific Trio

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little air corps display

Posted Image

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

If a mod could fix the dumb apostrophe thing in the title I would appreciate it, not sure why it does this :dry:

Oh and a new one I threw together. Represents varying bomber forces of the Pacific (Marine B25s, AAF B24s and B29s). You can tell I need to find a few more shirts and ties to finish this one out. Not sure if I like the set up yet though.

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

I can truly say that your collection is - in my opinion - one of the best i saw... Maybe not the biggest but quality always goes above quantity! Thank you for posting it! Is the 8th Air Force Ike identified?

I can truly say that your collection is - in my opinion - one of the best i saw... Maybe not the biggest but quality always goes above quantity! Thank you for posting it! Is the 8th Air Force Ike identified?

Thank you very much for your comment, it means a lot. I’m gonna update my war room post as I have tried to redo it recently so feel free to check that out soon. I always consider quality first, always above quantity, and have come to find many wonderful pieces to preserve.

The 8th Ike is named, I’ve linked my post. It came from a friend of mine who was given it by the veteran. I was able to research it further and find every mission and plane he flew.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/332532-lt-robert-a-adams-b17-pilot-780-bs-452-bg-8-af/