Battle of The Bulge, 75 Years Ago

digi-shots

I posted part of this grouping back in April when I first got it but thought I would post again in honor of the many veterans who fought 75 years ago at the Battle of the Bulge.

Pvt. Ronald E. Dindal enlisted at the age of 22 on December 19, 1942. He served as a Gliderman with the 101st Airborne, 326th A/B Medical Company.

On 17 December 1944, the 326th A/B Medical Company was alerted to move by motor convoy from Camp Mourmelon, France to the vicinity of Bastogne, Belgium to provide medical care and evacuation to the 101st Airborne Division. They arrived at their destination near Bastogne at 1100 hours, 19 Dec/44 and proceeded to set up their hospital tents and equipment.

At 2215 hours, 19 Dec/44, the Field Hospital Station was attacked by enemy patrol made up of an estimated 100 Germans and 3 armored vehicles.

Exactly two years to the day of his enlistment, Pvt. Dindal was captured along with most of his Company.

With freezing temperatures, members of the 326th A/B Medical Company were forced to march to an unknown destination and were shuffled back and forth from one location to another. They were eventually transported to Stalag IVB Muhlberg, one of the largest POW camps in Germany during WWII. During the duration of the war, over 3,000 Allied POWs at Stalag IVB died mostly due to sickness or starvation.

Over 30,000 Allied POWs of Stalag IVB along with Pvt. Dindal were liberated by Soviet troops in April 1945.

Also shown here are Pvt. Dindal's US issued dogtags, POW dogtags along with a ring and ring box. The ring is a bit unusual and is sometimes referred to as a mourning ring. It is made of black bakelite and has his photo embedded in the top. I am almost sure that when news of his capture was received, his wife chose the ring and wore it as a remembrance of him.

Many thanks to the heroes who are currently serving or have served and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

post-4361-0-03023300-1576504724.jpeg

post-4361-0-65010300-1576504789_thumb.jpeg

I absolutely loved seeing this grouping earlier this year and only fitting you share it again now. A wonderful piece of Bastogne-related 101st history!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
BelgianUScollector44

Very nice one! Would be a nice add to the 101st Museum at Bastogne! Or maybe they can help you with this one, to find family members of this soldier.

• 3 weeks later...

That is just an amazing group. I found a Bastogne map dated 43 recently. I wish I could find more related items from my collection. 

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

what I have found so far on Ronald E. DINDAL (Private - ASN : 35537991) is the following

He was part of the 326th Airborne Medical Company even before 15 July 1944. I have Company Order No. 15 of 15 July 1944 stating him as Private Dindal, Ronald E.

He was born 19 April 1920 and passed away (at age 62) 17 December 1982, he is buried at Knollcrest Cemetery, Arcadia, Ohio, USA.

Captured at Crossroad X, Barriere Hinck, Sainte-Ode, Belgium on December 19th, 1944. This was the location of the 101st Airborne Division, 326th AMC a few miles outside Bastogne.

They had been ordered into the Bulge defensive pocket the 17th of December moving out the 18th and arriving the early morning of the 19th of December.

He was POW at Stalag 4B Muhlberg Sachsen  51-13.

From what I have found he has one son Ronald E. Dindal Jr.

Sadly enough no more information on his parents, siblings or his wife

• 2 weeks later...