Purple Heart

rocky

What is your opinion on the engraving of this Purple Heart? Does it look WW2 vintage? I had a pic of the whole reverse but it didn't come out good so I have to take another one. It is a full brooch attachment. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

rocky

post-52278-0-87701500-1576476758.jpg

post-52278-0-31993100-1576476789.jpg

Thank you all for your help & thanks for the additional information. When a Purple Heart is given to the Family posthumously was it during the war or after the war?

rocky

Rocky,

This medal would have most likely been awarded to the family during the war. Unless he was Missing in Action and they couldn't confirm death, he would have ended up on the casualty rolls and his personal effects and awards would have been processed and returned to the family. The medal would have probably been given to the family in a small ceremony in the deceased serviceman's home of record with a senior officer making the award. The local newspaper would have been notified and if there was a public ceremony, there is probably a photo of the family member (usually a mother or spouse) receiving the award.

As this is a Sicily award, I would expect the medal to be numbered as well as named.

Allan

Thank you again for the additional information. I did not see any numbers on the edge of the purple heart. Does that mean it wasn't the original one issued?

rocky

No. It is the original awarded, unless a family member requested a duplicate at some point (no way of telling). Some Purple Heart manufacturers numbered their individual pieces, some did not. Good original piece.

Pete

I took some more pics of the back of the purple heart and of a few more items that go with it. One item is a leather folder that was awarded to his family by the Mayor of his home town in 1946. Also his name tag that I think was attached to his casket. I have a few more documents of his but I did not take a picture of them as of yet. RIP fallen soldier! So sad! The pics I took of the folder and other items are too large to post according to the site so I will take them again & post soon.

rocky

post-52278-0-90810600-1576739773.jpg

post-52278-0-66116400-1576739852.jpg

That metal tag is the QMC Coffin Tag that would have been attached to it when his remains would have been repatriated from an overseas cemetery in 1947-1949.

Kurt