Other Service and Foreign Wing Wear During WW2

VolunteerArmoury

VolunteerArmoury

Somewhere (don't recall where but I'm trying to find the ref again) I saw that wings awarded by services other than the US Army Air Force/Corps including other US forces along with foreign forces were worn over the right uniform pocket. I've never seen this in practice though. Anyone know about that?

VolunteerArmoury

I didn't even think of the all photos having the RAF & French wings on the right side or even Chinese! Bad thing is I have such a uniform and forgot about it!

Anyone ever seen a photo of a AAF guy wearing USN wings over right breast?

Interesting that is it is currently authorized by USMC to wear foreign or wings awarded while serving in another US branch of service.

Eagle Squadron, usually wore the smaller RAF wings for shirts but some were fullsize , some ex Flying Tigers wore Chinese when they rolled into the Air Corps

post-3435-1231298404.jpg

...Anyone ever seen a photo of a AAF guy wearing USN wings over right breast?

A USAAF lieutenant wearing U.S. Navy wings. Paragraph 70, AR 600-40 (ed. March 31, 1944, through change 6, August 30, 1945): "Aviation badges earned by Army personnel while serving in the United States Navy.....are worn immediately above the upper right pocket of the service coat...." and paragraph 71c: "Foreign aviation badges are worn immediately above the upper right pocket of the service coat..."

post-1963-1231317578.jpg

have seen English, Canadian, Chinese, Yugoslavian, and Ecuadorian and Navy on right side WWII Aircorps tunics any others?

have seen English, Canadian, Chinese, Yugoslavian, and Ecuadorian and Navy on right side WWII Aircorps tunics any others?

Brazilian too.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Brazilian Pilot Wings:

BrazilPilot.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

PS>

Brazilian Pilot Officer with US Pilot Wings:

Mario.jpg

Great photo Ricardo! Thanks for posting it.

Mark

...have seen English, Canadian, Chinese, Yugoslavian, and Ecuadorian and Navy on right side...any others?

A USAAF lieutenant wearing Italian wings (variant).

post-1963-1231351052.jpg

Borrowed from another thread on this subject, posted by pfrost -- an interesting story (link here).

VolunteerArmoury

I've never seen Italian wings worn in WW2 but USAAF but have seen them worn in WW1. Generally one isn't auth to wear anything from a nation it's engaged in a conflict with. I wonder what the story is on him?

VolunteerArmoury
A USAAF lieutenant wearing U.S. Navy wings. Paragraph 70, AR 600-40 (ed. March 31, 1944, through change 6, August 30, 1945): "Aviation badges earned by Army personnel while serving in the United States Navy.....are worn immediately above the upper right pocket of the service coat...." and paragraph 71c: "Foreign aviation badges are worn immediately above the upper right pocket of the service coat..."

post-1963-1231317578.jpg

Thank you. I was just curious.

I once, at a Veterans Day parade, ran into a vet wearing both US|N and USAAF pilot wings on his Legion or VFW cap. When I asked, he said he had been an enlisted man in the Navy in the 1930s, first on DIRIGIBLES then, when that program was ended, on Consolidated PB2Y flying boats. He got out in 1939, to attend tech college, and joined the National Guard (Army), only to be called back by the Navy in 1941 and sent to flight school. Assigned as a PO1 co-pilot to Hudsons and Catalinas -- mostly delivering them to Canada for use by RCAF and RAF/FAA -- he found out he could get a COMMISSION in the Army, so he applied and went. Turned out he flew air-sea rescue USAAF Catalinas....in both European and Pacific theaters. He wanted to stayn in, but without a college degree it was no-go. So he got a degree on the GI Bill and became a United airlines mantenance guy.