WW1 Aviator Wing - Christmas Present Has Arrived

Returned from vacation this weekend and was happy to see this sitting on my desk. Better pictures than my original post that had the seller's images.

The pin opens to 90 degrees.

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

back1.jpg

bottom.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

And the back. Even uses the same "ST" mark. Not sure if that is the name of the company or stands for sterling?

But, as I said, nothing about this wing makes me upset. It it what it is, a hand worked, nicely chased sweetheart or "hat" wing. Maybe something worn on the lapel by a veteran aviator.

Patrick

post-1519-1231216783.jpg

• 1 month later...
Returned from vacation this weekend and was happy to see this sitting on my desk. Better pictures than my original post that had the seller's images.

The pin opens to 90 degrees.

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

back1.jpg

bottom.jpg

Outstanding! Excellent quality design and workmanship. My guess is "ST" stands for "Sterling".

Interesting. These WWI wings seem to be tough business! I've always wanted one, and have the means,

but just don't feel comfortable pulling the trigger.

J.D.

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Interesting. These WWI wings seem to be tough business! I've always wanted one, and have the means,

but just don't feel comfortable pulling the trigger.

J.D.

Absolutely nothing wrong with these wings in the least. They very likely date from the 20's or 30's, and the idea that they are POST WWII is frankly absurd.

Patrick

Patrick,

I agree with your comment regarding them being Post WWII. Unfortunately, there will always be naysayers.

My wife collects vintage jewelry, and that same design of catch was available on pieces made prior to 1900.

Jon

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

In fact, I have a number of early and mid-1930's engraved and dated USN and USMC Good Conduct medals that have have the EXACT same style catch and pin assembly. These wings are what they are, hand engraved, jeweler made, and likely intended to be sweetheart of patriotic jewelry. Perhaps worn on the lapel or on a VFW hat. I think just enjoy the craftsmanship and quality of a well made wing--no one is trying to sell anything to anyone.

But it is like someone once told me, "if you live in the swamp, everything is going to taste like toad."

I didn't intend to offend anyone. I just have been following the WWI wing threads with interest hoping to learn,

but almost every time one is posted, there seems to be conflicting thoughts regarding authenticity.

I also thought these wings looked great, and based my comment on one above post. For that I apologize.

J.D.

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

JDK, I don't think anyone was referring to your comment. It looks like Patrick replied and included your post but I think he was referring to Joe's assertion that this is the incorrect catch for the period. My WW1 era bullion wing that has a pin back has a similar catch to this and I believe that wing to be made from the late 1919 to mid 1920 range. I don't have any experience with this particular badge but I do agree that wings from the 20s do have this type of roller ball catch.