Badge Collection Military Government Police Fire

mds308

Cobra 6 Actual

Here’s something a little different. Most US law enforcement badges have an “eagle top” design. But, this Alaskan one has a bear top:

image.jpeg

Examples of some other non-eagle topped badges are the ‘walking bear’ design sometimes seen on California badges; Austin, Texas; Bexar County, Texas; and once in awhile a Florida badge with a gator.

Obsolete U.S. Office of Personnel Management- Federal Investigative Service badge. Hallmarked Collinson. This agency has since been abolished and it’s functions taken over by the newly created Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency. These are the guys who perform the background investigations for US military/ intelligence/ law enforcement security clearances.

1FD00692-9F16-4078-8CFC-F52BB40B156E.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Good one, oakleaf777. If I remember correctly this agency was originally the Office of Investigations of the US Civil Service Commission. In the Federal job series these positions were classified as “Investigators”, 1810’s versus the “Criminal Investigators” that were 1811’s.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, Oakleaf777! Of course, I like all law enforcement badges. Here’s one that was recently offered to me:

image.jpeg

I think it illustrates a point about doing some research … and that spelling counts. Homer Garrison was appointed Chief of the Texas Rangers in 1938. So, although this is a cool looking badge, it is unfortunately an error badge and not worth anywhere near the money of a correctly-spelled one. Also, Garrison died in 1968, so this badge makes no sense.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, Easterneagle87, for posting that information. Here’s a Sterling Silver badge:

image.jpeg

Based on the hallmark this badge was made in 1900 to 1910. And that agency has one of the most interesting names! The guy who carried this probably “interviewed” my distant relatives as they came through Ellis Island.

Cobra 6 Actual

Mds308, my apologies, let me check and respond back. Must have missed it! Meanwhile:

image.jpeg

OK, just checked: I went back to the beginning of December and didn’t find anything, MDS. Don’t know what happened. Could you please re-send. Thank you!