Badge Collection Military Government Police Fire

mds308

Cobra 6 Actual

Absolutely, ekclete! We sometimes forget that right now the US has ~18,000 law enforcement agencies and ~34,000 fire departments (~75% of which are volunteer). That is a whole lotta badges!

Then there are the non-public safety agencies that have badges, too; such as this one:

image.jpeg.69e01cfd07c09dda0020111dc22233c1.jpeg

That Golden Gate Bridge badge is amazing!  I'm guessing it was from one of the first toll collectors.  Do you have a shot of the back?  I'd love to see any maker's marks and the latch style.  Number 14 puts it in the first batch.  :-)  May 1937 was the opening of the toll booths. 

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, sharky. Let me dig it out today and I’ll take a picture of it to post on here. Meanwhile, here’s a badge I don’t have from the same agency and in primo condition (no wear!) that I saw on the Internet:

image.jpeg

This is such a beautiful badge! You can even see a ship passing under the bridge. In my badge that ship is totally worn away!

Here is a badge that I have from my Great Grandfather.  My Great Grandfather and his brother, were two of the first agriculture border inspectors in California.  They were first stationed on the Calif-Arizona border by Yuma.  The badge was passed to me and I have it my collection of family badges.  It's a low badge number and one of the only first-badges that I have ever seen.  It's interesting how "department" was abbreviated on this badge.  I haven't seen that on any other California badges.  I knew both my Great Grandfather and his brother until they passed when I was a teenager.  Before they took the "respectable" jobs with the state, they were real cowboys in New Mexico..............I have their old spurs, and "cowboy stuff" as well 🙂

DSC00631.JPG

DSC00633.JPG

3-0190.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Sharky, that’s an outstanding looking badge of your Great Grandfather’s. And having that piece of family history, I’m sure, is equally great. Plus you have the “backstory” of the badge and the agency. Excellent!

I haven’t taken a picture yet of that Golden Gate Bridge badge … I need to wait until tomorrow when I have good lighting. But, I can tell you that I have looked it over and the back of the badge has no hallmarks and just a Burgess catch. More mañana.

Cobra 6 Actual

Just re-posting these from the patch thread to this one:

image.jpeg.ba498f2d0e76e8ea81d7abf9fcb29e47.jpeg

Top row: Left is Chief, Right is Deputy Chief.

Bottom Row: Left is Assistant Chief, Right is Fire Marshal.

The first three were in their issue boxes, like this:

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Badges in Lucite is a common way of preventing misuse by the retiree or others. This is akin to dewating a service revolver or pistol carried by a retiree during his service. 

Cobra 6 Actual

Exactly so, 72psb. Although I have a friend that once removed a badge from lucite with acetone. From what he told me it sounded like far more work than I’d want to do. Besides the badges encased in lucite look really nice.

Honorary NY State Police Superintendent badge presented to renowned police badge collector, Elvis Presley (no, sadly I don’t have this badge, but saw it come up for auction)

344A2D2B-EC3D-4447-B441-BD6DFBF17800.jpeg

3BDD76F5-61FE-4B19-B33C-B95128A43F91.jpeg

28 minutes ago, oakleaf777 said:

Honorary NY State Police Superintendent badge presented to renowned police badge collector, Elvis Presley (no, sadly I don’t have this badge, but saw it come up for auction)

344A2D2B-EC3D-4447-B441-BD6DFBF17800.jpeg

3BDD76F5-61FE-4B19-B33C-B95128A43F91.jpeg

An interesting site discussing Elvis' obsession with the police...including a few pictures of some of his badge collection at the very bottom... https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/police-elvis-presley.shtml

Cobra 6 Actual

Very cool, Oakleaf77. I’ve seen the Bureau of Narcotics badge that President Nixon presented to Elvis. It’s now in the collection of the National Law Enforcement Museum in Washington, DC.

Cobra 6 Actual

Posted this badge earlier:

image.jpeg

However, just saw on the Military Police Facebook page some clarifying information on its dates of use:

image.jpeg.d036f420e0c1412e0b650e077b96b1de.jpeg

So this badge, as shown on the right, was used at Ft. Custer, Michigan, from November 1942 to September 1944, by permanent party MP’s at that location. (Sorry about the picture quality, best I could do.)

Cobra 6 Actual

Burrowing down a little further, it appears that the shape of the Ft. Wayne and Ft. Custer MP badges is based on the design of the Michigan State Police badge:

image.png.d58c2545e354ea4817a773635997954b.png

(Photo is from the Internet.)

Cobra 6 Actual

A 1923 Masonic badge for its convention in Washington, D.C.

image.jpeg

Many would consider this badge to be inconsequential. Yet savvy collectors believe that this badge, with a similar design to that of the DC Special Police badge, is considered to be the beginning of “special event” badges in Washington, D.C. These badges over time would include various Inaugurals, memorials, anniversaries, sports, and other such badges. I have a sub-collection of DC badges that I’ll post.