Badge Collection Military Government Police Fire

mds308

Not sure if this is military or not so I would appreciate help with that as well if this is real or not. Made of tin. Says made in Japan on back. Thanks in advance!

C9DEE490-80FE-4AA2-93B7-B7F5556333F5.jpeg.c26ad198b8914741d1fa15c1f39fb418.jpegBE517DF0-25E4-480C-B688-062591FBB533.jpeg.781e7941c5ff35881894a7269c289c84.jpeg

Child toy, 1930-50

3 hours ago, BEAT_NAVY said:

Not sure if this is military or not so I would appreciate help with that as well if this is real or not. Made of tin. Says made in Japan on back. Thanks in advance!

C9DEE490-80FE-4AA2-93B7-B7F5556333F5.jpeg.c26ad198b8914741d1fa15c1f39fb418.jpegBE517DF0-25E4-480C-B688-062591FBB533.jpeg.781e7941c5ff35881894a7269c289c84.jpeg

easterneagle87

Many of you prob already know this site, but going to post the info & link; 

Buy & Sell badges on an Auction Site Specifically designed for Collectors of Police, Fire, Military and other Law Enforcement Memorabilia (including vehicles) with over 1200 current listings. If you are interested, you can take a look and register for free at www.auction.collectors-badges.com

Saw it while cruising FB.  Who says we don't need no stinking badges! 

Coll Badg Auct.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, EE87! I’ve gotten more than a few good deals on that site. It’s definitely worth checking out.

Here’s an interesting and somewhat rare badge:

image.jpeg

Only about 2 inches and encased in plastic. These are the kinds of ‘small things’ that collectors find fascinating. As used by police cadets in Washington, DC; these “little guys” usually sell for ~$100 to $150.

• 4 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This is one of the earliest dated badges I have:

image.jpeg

The Republican candidate selected was Charles E. Hughes, who lost the 1916 election to Woodrow Wilson.

Cobra 6 Actual

Something different, what appears to be a badge is actually a very well-crafted belt buckle:

image.jpeg.8c3d5320b942b6bc8efb5b5a4f012e5d.jpeg

Silver overlay and made by the Lawman Badges Company.

3 minutes ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Something different, what appears to be a badge is actually a very well-crafted belt buckle:

image.jpeg.8c3d5320b942b6bc8efb5b5a4f012e5d.jpeg

Silver overlay and made by the Lawman Badges Company.

Don’t see that two much! Very similar to the Philippine belt buckles.

• 3 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This is something a little different, a Georgia memorial ride badge:

image.jpeg.c99f637c53cd177512bb908215fe3a23.jpeg

There’s one other thing that makes this badge unique: it’s made in China:

image.jpeg.37302b5634294ffa9996849737ae3df6.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Sometimes it’s nice to get several badges from the same city:

image.jpeg

Note that the bottom left badge is from an obsolete “Policemen’s Association.”

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

When a change occurs and an agency no longer performs a certain function or does it in a different way that may cause a related change in a badge. In some cases, the job function and the badge “go away” entirely. A good example is the “Jeep Patrol” or “Jeep Posse” badges of the 1930’s through 1950’s. These were usually staffed with volunteers that owned Jeeps and were willing to perform search and rescue. As time went on more robust search and rescue organizations developed and these groups faded away.

A badge of the 1930’s to 1950’s era:

image.jpeg.dc12602b51cd5f021c50b9786f5b0462.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Although this badge is for the “American Society for the Prevention if Cruelty to Children” it is in the shape of a common federal badge, such as for the Border Patrol:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

As comparison, here is the UK’s version of the “Prevention of Cruelty to Children” badge above in the previous post:

image.jpeg

This is an older badge as it has the “King’s Crown” design at the top.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, EE87. I’m more of an Army, Marines, and civilian law enforcement collector, but I can always “make room” for another badge, right!

Cobra 6 Actual

There’s a whole world of movie and television badge collectors out there. Although not exactly my interest area, here’s a recent find that I couldn’t pass up:

image.jpeg

On 10/16/2021 at 9:21 AM, Cobra 6 Actual said:

I was recently asked about the legality of collecting police badges. I’m no lawyer, so please take what I I’ve written as a non-lawyer’s understanding of this issue: the United States Code has a section that most badge collectors know of.  It is in Title 18, Chapter 33, Section 716:

“(b) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the insignia or uniform is other than a counterfeit insignia or uniform and is not used to mislead or deceive, or is used or is intended to be used exclusively:

(1) as a memento, or in a collection or exhibit;

(2) for decorative purposes;

(3) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theatrical, film, or television production; or

(4) for any other recreational purpose.”

What I take from this is that the police badges I buy or trade for are “in a collection” (and I mean that quite literally that any badges I have are exclusively physically located at my residence, either in display frames or, in some cases, stored. I don’t wear them and I have no intent to mislead or deceive people). Further, even though this statute is unclear on whether it is OK to collect currently used badges or not, I stay well away from any such badges. In fact, I’ll often ask someone if a badge is obsolete/no longer officially used. If the answer is “no” or “I don’t know”, then I don’t buy it or trade for it.

By the way, in some cases, there are also state or local laws that address collecting or possessing police badges in addition to this federal stature I cited. Get familiar with them, too! And, if in doubt about all of this, then ask a lawyer.

Great advice for the newbie Cobra 6 and you have one hell of a collection.  I immediately put my acquired badges in a shadow box. I just love collecting old historical things. Marine Vet also, so I love seeing all the old USMC badges on this site as well.   Just scored an official DC Metro Trump Inuaugural Set that Ill post on here....the guy had GWB and Obama set as well. 80 a set so I think I will be going back to get the other two based on what I am seeing. They all have the proper hallmarks and numbers on back as well as the cases and certificates that came with them. Thanks for sharing! 

Cobra 6 Actual

LCPL MOE, thanks for the kind words. And a price of $80 an Inaugural set is a great deal. Usually a set with badge, coin, pin, and box would be in the ~$150 and up range.

Also, know that certain agencies Inaugural sets are usually pricer: these include the FBI Police, Uniformed Division of the Secret Service, and the US Capitol Police. There are also Inaugural Fire Department badges; usually these are less expensive.

easterneagle87

Heren is an inaugural badge from 1997. Currently listed on FB market place at a price of $299. People will pay what they want, but seems pricey.   

Army MP badges.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Totally agree, EE87. In my opinion the patch should be ~$5 to $7, while the badge is in the ~$50 to $75 range. Switching gears, here’s an interesting badge:

image.jpeg.a13abafa25011f6cae825ee9615403ea.jpeg

This is a “cross-over” as both fire collectors and police collectors would consider this type of badge as falling into their respective collecting categories.

Cobra 6 Actual

An interesting badge:

image.jpeg.eeee20248dafff081eba8de0ce4b8dff.jpeg

The central figure of the Police Officer literally handing money to what is presumably a widow and an orphan is unique.

Cobra 6 Actual

I posted this badge earlier, but it illustrates a point that some cities pick a badge style and then use that design across multiple time periods and agencies:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg.9be8b19ebf225a03a0085fc96330a563.jpeg

image.jpeg