Badge Collection Military Government Police Fire

mds308

12 hours ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Here’s an obsolete and well-worn Office of Naval Intelligence “Special Agent” badge:

Ver

This badge is commonly referred to as a “Fat Boy” and would have been used prior to 1966, when the name “Naval Investigative Service” was adopted. Then that name was changed to “Naval Criminal Investigative Service” in 1992.

What a great looking badge Cobra 6!

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, jmd62. What’s nice is that the basic design of that badge has remained the same through the various name changes. Here’s a photo of a current one (which obviously I don’t have):

image.jpeg

Too many agencies switch things up too much, so it’s good to see some historical continuity.

Cobra 6 Actual

Going back ~20 years or so, police departments have issued Special Event badges for things like the Olympics, soccer tournaments, Super Bowl locations, and more. Here’s one celebrating a Superb Bowl victory:

image.jpeg

Over the next few postings let’s present some other examples of these Special Event badges.

Cobra 6 Actual

The 1996 Olympics had a number of special event badges come out. This one was worn by law enforcement personnel who volunteered to work at the Olympics:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Some law enforcement agencies that were directly involved in the 1996 Olympics chose to design their own badges. Other agencies used one similar to that in the previous post:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, jmd62! As I noted some agencies stuck with that badge design; while some kept their own (usually with the center of an Olympics design). Here’s an example of the latter:

image.jpeg

One of the advantages of keeping your own design is that you don’t have to purchase a new credentials case, thus saving $20 or $30.

Cobra 6 Actual

Here’s another example of an agency that stuck with its own badge and just changed the center design:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

I believe this is the only Fire Service badge produced for the 1996 Olympics:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Still doing the 2002 Winter Olympics, but this Utah centennial badge, which came out in 1996, was apparently the prototype for Utah Department of Public Safety badges for the 2002 event, as we’ll show:

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This is the badge that was used by police from other departments, and even other states, who assisted in Olympics law enforcement:

image.jpeg

Since they were organized under the Utah Department of Public Safety the badge is a close stylistic match to the badge immediately above in Post #450.

What a beauty Cobra 6! Probably not easy to find, especially in such great condition?

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, jmd62. It helped that I was personally involved in training public safety personnel for both the 1996 and the 2002 Olympics. C6A

6 minutes ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Thanks, jmd62. It helped that I was personally involved in training public safety personnel for both the 1996 and the 2002 Olympics. C6A

That's pretty Cool Cobra 6, it must have been quite interesting!

• 2 weeks later...