M1 Garand Cartouche question

jmd62

Hey guys,

I was looking at a Garand stock for sale with the stamps shown below. Any thoughts in regards to their authenticity? The order is backward from what I've seen as well, but maybe there were exceptions?

Thanks!

James

post-159199-0-78576400-1576178558.jpg

On the top picture, only the 'S' would appear to be double-struck. I'd want to see some other examples but at first glance the top picture doesn't look too bad, even though the order of the stampings is reversed. It would be nice to see the whole stock on this one to give an opinion....

The P looks pretty legit.....Well, I'd want to see what others might say but to my eyes it seems okay. It all looks pretty good.....I think the stock has been worked on a little to clean it up to a degree but all in all it seems okay. Is there a small ordnance wheel stamped into the heel of the stock...?

If the S shows a double stamp then why not the other letters - the stamp mold has ALL the letters and not just the S.

So did someone in 1943 to 1945 had only a S stamp - I highly doubt that

so wouldn't we see some double stamp on the A and the G and the A and the W and the border ??

If the S shows a double stamp then why not the other letters - the stamp mold has ALL the letters and not just the S.

So did someone in 1943 to 1945 had only a S stamp - I highly doubt that

so wouldn't we see some double stamp on the A and the G and the A and the W and the border ??

Well, that's the question. When I look at the photo, all I can see on the cartouche is the S with a portion of a double imprint.

The 'why' could be simply how whoever had the mallet and the dies didn't strike it or position it well enough, who knows.

Some of these cartouches are really deep on one end and barely show up on the other.....it all came down to how steady the workers hand was when it was done, and many look like they were done in haste....close enough was all they needed.

Thanks for your take, much appreciated. Yes, there is the little ordnance wheel stamped in the heel, but pretty worn.

Ok, good. Pretty sure most if not all of the GAW stocks had that as well.

Persian Gulf Command

I need to point out that the top of the "G" also shows a double strike on the inside of the top loop. This indicate a slight "bounce" that occurred to the stamp in this area when the imprint was made. This is likely where the most force was transferred during the hammer strike.

I would have doubts. Especially in the pic of the whole stock, the stamp looks awfully crisp in relation to the overall condition of the stock.

Steve

I'm with Otto, and it almost looks like a rebuild stamp further back on the butt? Does look like other signs of an overstamp. Seek out Rick B on other forums. His word would be the only one I would trust.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I was contemplating buying it but it has since sold. No big though, Id rather find a one looker in the end. In the mean time Ill keep learning : )

Look on the pistol grip for the small cross cannons. This will help you determine.

If there's no sign then 100% repro. Otherwise you need to take the butt plate off and have a look for stamps on the butt under the plate.

Scott