WW2 Japanese Bring Back Trunk Full of Stuff.

Ben@HI

found this today, this is probably the most interesting grouping I have come across in years. it came with some US stuff but nothing all that interesting.

post-100928-0-26373000-1576116036.jpg

post-100928-0-01112200-1576116040.jpg

post-100928-0-53706300-1576116046.jpg

post-100928-0-91597600-1576116054.jpg

post-100928-0-39186600-1576116064.jpg

post-100928-0-16032700-1576116071.jpg

picture of the helmets (inside)

I guess it got thrown in the trash, the guy I bought it from is a trash picker and bulk trash day was the other day. still wet from being out in rain.

I will try to get some more helmet pictures when I have time, the cover looks like it would fall apart if I tried to remove it.

post-100928-0-73211000-1576116806.jpg

Wouldnt doubt it. It still amazes me what stuff people throw away. Ive sold items for hundreds of dollars that I originally found sitting at the bottom of a dumpster.

picture of the helmets (inside)

I guess it got thrown in the trash, the guy I bought it from is a trash picker and bulk trash day was the other day. still wet from being out in rain.

I will try to get some more helmet pictures when I have time, the cover looks like it would fall apart if I tried to remove it.

Can't believe someone would throw this away. Amazing collection of bring backs.

Can't believe someone would throw this away. Amazing collection of bring backs.

It's not unbelievable when one realizes there are people who don't understand this stuff has collectibility....Now I know it's easy to say, get online and look for similiar items to see they do have value...But what if Grandpa Joe spoke about the horrors of the war and the brutality of the enemy?....Than one can easily see how family members might easily deem the pieces as undesirable and henceforth better put in the garbage.....

Could go as deep as this or simply the stuff got wet or the family just got sick and tired of moving stuff around....Maybe Grandpa Joe's house needed a quick cleaning out due to being sold?.....Could be any of a number of innocent reasons, but we as collectors don't always think in such terms.....Bodes

I actually have no idea what the cones are. Some of the stuff is odd (well at least to me), half of an old handcuff that looks like it was shot or hit with something. The thing that looks like a power cable is actually a hose with a shower head thing on it, White pants that look military but I am not sure. I know 4 of the pouches are ammo pouches but I am not sure what the big ones on top are. They have large holes in the bottoms that look like a rifle round could fall out of. Interesting stuff for sure.

People throw stuff out all the time. These days a lot of what I get comes from the trash. Either stuff I bought from trash pickers or stuff I pulled from the trash myself. I didn't get anything out the trash this week but I bought a pair of US Navy hardhat divers boots and a Japanese sword from other folks that I am sure got the stuff from the trash.

Japanese helmets are a hard find, the one with the cover is the first navy helmet I have had. I think it's naval landing force. I can feel the badge under the cover is not a star. The army helmet is maybe the 3rd I have had. It's pretty rough but I'm still happy to have it.

Great find Ben.Congratulations.The NLF helmet is a hard piece but with original cover its a gem.

I'm thinking the larger single pouch a map case?...the other leather ones look like the rear rifle ammo pouches.

The white pants possibly a work or fatigue type trouser.I have seen them in photos.

Great haul. Love the helmets. I waited forever to get a decent Japanese helmet and it wasn't cheap - and you've got 2. Congrats! What are the 4 cones?

Wild guess, But Maybe the comes are some kind of artillery fuse protectors?

Mikie

Great items, love the helmets, did the cloth covered helmet take a shrapnel hit or is that just bad storage damage we see?..please post some better detail photos of that helmet...thanks..mike

People throw stuff out all the time. These days a lot of what I get comes from the trash. Either stuff I bought from trash pickers or stuff I pulled from the trash myself. I didn't get anything out the trash this week but I bought a pair of US Navy hardhat divers boots and a Japanese sword from other folks that I am sure got the stuff from the trash.

Funny you mention this. Last year, I found better stuff in dumpsters that I found at garage or estate sales. Literally thousands of dollars worth of free (mostly non-militaria related) stuff.

This lot looks to me like something from a house cleanout. I mean seriously, it looks like a bunch of musty old trash if you dont know why its special. But damn, thats some cool old trash!!!

Would love to see the US stuff. Looks like the vet was involved with the medical branch in the 163rd infantry???

This is the third trunk like this I've seen turn up in the past 10-12 years.

Yours is very cool.

An acquaintance had one at SoS several years ago that was an officer's trunk with contents.

Nice save.

thanks Doyler, last time I was out here I tried to get into collecting WW2 Japanese stuff (mostly swords and bayonets) and I really wanted a SNLF helmet but they were WAY out of my price range online and I couldn't find one offline. I did manage to find a pretty nice Army type 90 at that time but I ended up selling it to get some cash before I left.

I had the same thoughts about the nose cone, kind of looks like a storage or shipping cover for a fuse but i a not sure.

I do not think the cones are for RPG AP shape charges as they are not copper, they seem to be steel or iron. they are about the right size and shape though.

I don't know about cups, I wouldn't want to drink out of one haha.

Mike, while I think may be from damage from during the helmets service like I don't think its shrapnel. looks more like someone threw it down on hard rocks. most of the damage it likely from poor storage and bugs.

Longbranch, it is truly amazing what people with trash. everything from gold, jewelry and even cash money to antiques and family history. a lot of tools and furniture.

I went ahead and removed the cover, I didn't damage it any further then it already was. I was just going to pull it back enough to see the badge but it was still wet so I figured it was a good ideal to just remove it completely and let it dry out for a couple of days.

post-100928-0-75594200-1576190339.jpg

post-100928-0-08778100-1576190343.jpg

post-100928-0-90844100-1576190346.jpg

post-100928-0-71069500-1576190350.jpg

post-100928-0-59322700-1576190354.jpg

post-100928-0-81303300-1576190358.jpg