Wisconsin National Guard Summer Camp Souvenir Watch Fob

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann
Wisconsin National Guard Summer Camp Souvenir Watch Fob
Pre WWI National Guard Summer Camp Souvenir fobs are not a rare. This one however is an exception. It is 35 mm by 41 mm in size and appears to be nickel or silver plated. The obverse is inscribed “MURRAY R. BENEDICT. NEILLSVILLE, WIS. CO. A 3” INF. WIS.N.G.” above the crossed rifles and flag, and below “COLLECTIVE FIRE 484”. On the reverse we find “W . N . G . Co A REG. 3” CAMP DOUGLAS, WIS JULY 17 ’23’ 09”.
Based on the inscription it would seem that Mr. Benedict was rather proud of his marksmanship score “COLLECTIVE FIRE 484” ; but what does it mean? I read through the Wisconsin Adjutant Generals Report of 1909 which lists all the marksmanship events or prize categories for that year but it contains no mention of any “Collective Fire“.
Does anyone know what the army would have called collective fire back then? Mr. Benedict graduated from Neillsville High School in 1909 so this must have been his first summer camp with the National Guard. He went on to become an Agricultural Economist and died in 1980.

post-591-0-55013000-1576083059.jpg

Wish I could help you on this Fred but, not my area of expertise. I just like anything Wisconsin and this medal is pretty cool. BTW, the Camp Douglas area of Wisconsin is beautiful!

Fred,

I love these pre-WWI National Guard awards!

I couldn't find anything in the Wisconsin Adjutant General's Report, but in the 1903-1904 Adjutant General's report for Texas they address collective fire.

post-203-0-29302300-1576096594_thumb.jpg

Collective Fire was essentially the entire company firing at once. Google "collective fire" and army and you will find regs on how it was done.