Donated local WWII Air Corps group and tear-jerking story

It was roughly 10 years ago that I received a phone call from an elderly woman who read about my military displays in the local town newspaper. She said that she wanted to donate her late husband's footlocker and items to me. So I immediately went over to see her. He husband was a mechanic in the Caribbean during the war. In the footlocker was his dress uniform, a few shirts, pants, a number of Garrison caps and ties, a very nice gabardine visor, a bag of rank chevrons and AAF patches, dog tags, gas mask in the khaki kidney bag with his name, blankets, blue denim and khaki laundry bag, and a Red Cross turtleneck sweater and facemask with long flaps to cover chest and back. Here's the tear-jerker.

A couple days ago I put on a Pearl Harbor day display and presentation. After my hour-long discussion one of the nurses at the senior living center told me how her father served in world War II in the Air Corps. She then told me that a long time ago her mother had given away all of her dad's military stuff to a guy. I asked what her dad's name was and she replied, Malcolm Spaar. With that I reached into my trunk and pulled out a uniform with dogtags. I asked the lady if this reminded her of her dad's uniform he wore. She held it and began to cry. I said I was that young guy who your mom donated it to. She was crying for 5 minutes straight and it was the sweetest thing I ever experienced. She was so happy and astonished that I had kept my promise to her mother and continue to cherish and protect her father's items. She then told me that she wants to donate his photo album from the war to me so that I can continue to preserve and honor his memory. Her mother had passed away two years ago and seeing these items brought back so many happy memories she even contacted her brothers and sister to tell them what had happened. Out of all the things I have seen and experienced this was the most touching because it really did show that I keep my word when it comes to items that are donated to me because it is important that we continue to keep those memories alive for the future to learn from.

This is Lorraine Spaar and myself with her dad's uniform.

post-88080-0-00339600-1576021095.jpg

I love to see the lines connect. Really touching.

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Excellent and very touching story. Thank you for being an honorable curator of this soldier's story and for bringing such joy to his family. It's just so wonderful!

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Great Stuff

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

What a wondderful story. Congrats to you for being a great custodian of Sgt. Spaar's memorabilia. I loved reading this! Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

This just shows you how small the world really is!

Nice job!

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Wow, what are the odds?! Excellent story. Thanks for sharing, and keep it up!

Eric

ASMIC #5492

Are you a militaria collector in PA, NJ or DE? If so, please feel free to join my "Delaware Valley Militaria Collectors" page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MilitariaCollectorsOfDelawareValley#!/groups/DELVALMILITARIA/

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif