76mm M62A1 APC WWII Sherman Tank round

George

Persian Gulf Command

This is an example in my collection. It is not for sale but will provide you with your request to see an example.

Note that the projo is marked 3 inch and the casing is 76mm, which is the proper nomenclature to these WW2 APC rounds.

1 of 5

post-17994-0-93946300-1576010866_thumb.jpg

CCYOOPER, I believe yours is a navy 3" round, whereas the other is a 76mm army tank round....Yours has a nose fuse instead of a base fuse found on an APC ( armor-piercing capped) round....Bodes

CCYOOPER, I believe yours is a navy 3" round, whereas the other is a 76mm army tank round....Yours has a nose fuse instead of a base fuse found on an APC ( armor-piercing capped) round....Bodes

Looking at it again, I think I see cross cannons on the bottom of your casing....That would denote army acceptance...The head is not an APC round though....Bodes

Here is another still in the tube.

Your projectile looks like an M42 HE 3" but the casing looks odd- way to short. Here are my examples. L-R. 75mm Howitzer w/ M48 HE projo. 1944. 75mm APC M61 projo (w/ explosive filler) 1945. 75mm Recoiless 1945, 3" M42 HE 1941, 3" APC 1944, 3" / 50 Navy MK 29 AP 1942.

Lots of confusion in the 3" ordnance pieces. The Navy 3" has a different style driving band and different case, similar to the Army 3" but more rounded at the shoulder , also marked with an Anchor. Now the real confusion, the 3" projo ( M62) was loaded into two different style cases. The M26 straight case as Persian Gulf's example and the type in my collection. Both cases were made in both steel and brass. The proper terminology is 3", thus the "3G" inking on the projo. post-180924-0-55116500-1576033098_thumb.jpeg

The headstamp on CCYOOPER's brass is correctly marked 3" MKII M2, but as stated appears to be cut down....The one shown in the last group is a 3" MKII M2 B1 steel shell casing.....Bodes

Has anyone see one of these for sale? Or, is there anyone out there that has one of these in his collection?

To answer your question, the Army 3" is considered rare. The 3" HE ( M42) with mechanical time fuze the rarest, next w/ PD fuze. The 3" APC ( M62) second, and the Navy 3"/50 common. Cases: a good condition well inked Army 3" MKII B2 ( steel) the rarest as those laquered steel cases rusted out years ago. Brass MK II like the M26 case getting hard to find, but out there. A complete, correct WWII Army 3" now brings $375-550+ depending on condition. I had seen a few months ago a pair of correct Army 3" ( APC and HE) bring $1200, they sold within a few hours of posting. Be careful when buying a 3", a lot of mismatches out there, example, Navy 3" stuck in Army cases, vice versa.

The headstamp on CCYOOPER's brass is correctly marked 3" MKII M2, but as stated appears to be cut down....The one shown in the last group is a 3" MKII M2 B1 steel shell casing.....Bodes

Coopers picture is blurry and I can not make out the driving band ( the 75 mm has a single driving band). I believe his second picture with the PD fuze is a 75mm HE in an M18 case, not the same round as the head stamp pictured. My picture clearly shows the length difference between the 75mm and 3".

A lot of the brass casings such as the M26 and those marked 3 inch MKII M2 stayed overseas....I had contact with a guy who had two M26's in western Europe, but I was concerned about shipping one.....He sold them, but I was able to secure a brass 3 inch MKII M2 army one from another guy overseas (Europe)....They don't seem to be readily available in the US....Bodes

Persian Gulf Command

Bodes,

Agreed, there is a difficulty getting ordnance form over seas and for them from here. This fact influences price and availability for both sides of the ocean. Not sure this will be overcome at any time soon.

The green shell on the right is a m71 90mm round. The other rounds are still in the tubes if you look closely. Unfortunately I dont have pictures out of the tubes on my phone now. They are black APC rounds