Need some serious help on these AAC gunnery Globes

Need some help, I can't find out nothing about these, This is some kind of enemy plane gunnery globe, i have six of these, the planes are mounted on a rod and go inside of the globe, there are colors on the globe that coincide with the guns on the plane. The planes are lead on steel rods and have the type and date under the wings, they are dated 1/43. The Globes are plastic and not marked. They also have a info disc that goes on them

I have no idea what these are called or what there used for. Google turned up nothing. Could use some help.

post-153748-0-87283200-1575940138.jpg

post-153748-0-20607300-1575940146.jpg

Hmmmm......

DSI_hdapproach.png

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

These show the areas where the guns can be brought to bear, and areas where an attacking aircraft would be safe from defensive gunfire because of the location of the guns in relation to wings, engines, etc.

Collecting 3rd Armored Division items of all kinds from all eras, specializing in the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment.

I don't know anything about these, but it would make sense to me that the colors on the globe indicate the best ways to attack the enemy aircraft (e.g. That red or orange area seams to line up with a frontal attack and in direct firing area of the Junkers' guns). Is there a bottom half of that red or orange circle that maybe needs to line up with the top half? Also wondering if the 1/43 is a scale size? Jeffro

1/43 is not the scale, scale is usually written 1:43 and 1:72 is a common model scale and that would be much larger than the one pictured. That one is probably 1:150 or something like that.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

1/43 Might be a date?

Growing up in Australia we can write a scale as 1/72.... look on Airfix plastic model kits...

I think they are really interesting and would have one in my collection if one is available.

Interested in US Naval and Marine aviation history, aircrew wings & insignia.

WW2 US Navy and Marine Grumman Wildcat, Avenger & Douglas SBD aircraft.

Also interested in US 5th AF in Australia.

donation2013.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

I'd be interested in seeing the manual to know how exactly these worked

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Yes, the instructions would be good (to complete it too), it would probably show that sighting the enemy aircraft through the clear sections shows the least defended part of the aircraft and therefore the safest direction of attack. Never seen one before... really nice.

Interested in US Naval and Marine aviation history, aircrew wings & insignia.

WW2 US Navy and Marine Grumman Wildcat, Avenger & Douglas SBD aircraft.

Also interested in US 5th AF in Australia.

donation2013.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Thats a cool training device. I would reach out to the curator of the National Museum of the Air Force for help. His email address should be on their website.

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Yeah I was thinking Air Force museum and maybe the National Air and Space museum. I figured these where probably made by Comet or Framburg since they are die cast planes. You can barely make out the name of the plane on the bottom of the fuselage that looks a lot like What Comet made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...