Northern Front Iraq Invasion

I am in the process of reorganizing the displays in the hobby room. This is one I put together for the Northern Front during the 2003 Iraq Invasion. I have had these items that belong to a 10th Grouper in storage for awhile an figured I would bring them to the light of day.

The mannequin is outfitted with items worn by the 10th Grouper while fighting alongside the Peshmerga on the Green Line. Some of the items are the Riachle "Blue Boots", Suunto wrist compass, G-Shock watch, uniform and TOW II baseball hat. Parts of the RACK had to sourced as he had passed along parts of it to a Team Mate.

The Iraqi flag was taken from the first objective overran on the Green Line. In the cargo pocket are maps and a green field note book used to coordinate B52 strikes. Still a work in progress as I am trying to figure out how to display JOG map issued for the mission.

post-4227-0-75273300-1575853051_thumb.jpg

post-4227-0-22579200-1575853070_thumb.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

That's not something you see everyday! I was there for OIF I down in An Nasariyah and Al Hillah. Very cool display. I'm glad it still exists and can be displayed this well.

WANTED: I collect materials of any age related to the US Army Quartermaster Corps and from the long-defunct Commissary / Subsistence Corps. Anything goes and it doesn't have to be identified to a vet. If it's weird or unusual, please PM me! ASMIC #5650

Radio pouch is not period correct, it looks like the one from the ucp kit.

The rest is very nice, those raichle boots are a good example of non us made issue item(i always bring them as an example when talking about berry complaint and its exceptions). I think they were sent directly from Germany (that brand doesn't exist anymore since 2009).

Nice display...I was sitting in Mardin, Turkey embedded with the 21st TSC as a DOD civilian during the “Northern Option” awaiting the Turkish vote. The 4th ID armor from Ft. Hood, TX was sitting in ships off of Cyprus ..but when Turkey voted “No!”....the ships heads south to Kuwait and we watched via satellite the 173rd ABN jumping into Iraq. A week later...we headed back to Germany Interesting times....

again....Nice display... a lot of SOCOM and “other” elements were in the north

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

In the back ground is a print that represents the infiltration (Operation UGLY BABY) of 10th Special Forces Group ODAs into Northern Iraq via MC130s to link up with the Peshmerga for the 2003 Invasion. The picture shows MC-130H 89-0280 'The...Highlander' of the 7th Special Operations Squadron passing over an Iraqi convoy which opened fire and hit the aircraft multiple times which lead to the aircraft having to divert into Turkey due to the damage and the aircraft was awarded the Purple Heart by members of the squadron due to the damage the aircraft sustained, this was the longest low level infiltration since World War II and longest in C-130 history. Photos of this A/C are also shown in articles concerning the 173rd drop for some reason. They flew in C-17s through friendly airspace, dropped in friendly controlled territory, on DZs controlled by elements of 2/10SFG and KDP Peshmerga.

From my understanding it was called UGLY BABY as the casualty expectation from Iraqi ADA was estimated at 75%. The MC130 the 10th GRPER was on lost it's #3 engine half way through the infiltration flight but continued on to As-Sulaymaniyah to deliver it cargo.

post-4227-0-49132200-1576107192_thumb.jpg

This poster inset upper left gives the flight route from Romania to Jordan and then into Iraq. The inset right was after Turkey opened up it's airspace.

post-4227-0-99461100-1576107252_thumb.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

That's not something you see everyday! I was there for OIF I down in An Nasariyah and Al Hillah. Very cool display. I'm glad it still exists and can be displayed this well.

No kidding! Killer setup. I was in those AOs myself. Small world.

Thanks for your Service!

Salute

• 4 weeks later...