24 Round Revolver Ball M1911 in Clips - Photos Wanted

silverplate

I recently added this unopened box of Remington-UMC manufactured .45 ACP rounds in revolver clips to my collection. It was a long search, but worth the effort. Now I have a question for the cartridge collectors out there. Does anyone have a 24 round box from another WWI manufacturer besides Remington? I know there were 6 manufacturers of .45 ACP rounds - Frankford, Remington, Peters, Winchester, U.S. Cartridge Company, and Maxim Munitions. I have 20 round boxes from all of them. But the 24 round boxes have proven to be very elusive.

I am looking for photos of the labels from any 24 round revolver box not made by Remington. I have seen a box made by U.S. Cartridge Co. on GB, but the photo was poor. Besides that one, everything else I have seen has been Remington. It is my hope that some of the forum members might be able to help.

My thanks in advance for any submissions.

Charlie

post-162630-0-08893500-1575840950_thumb.jpg

post-162630-0-87840000-1575840976_thumb.jpg

Thanks to you both for responding.

ccyooper, a photo of the U.S. Cart. Co. box label would be greatly appreciated.

Robinb, that shorter box is a totally new package for those rounds that I've never seen before, nor seen references about. It looks to be the same length as a 20 round box, only deeper. If it's not too much trouble, could you take a photo from the top down of the two boxes together so I can see the configuration difference? I'm assuming it's a one piece box with dividers for the clipped rounds based on the label. What a cool variation.

Just when you thought you'd seen it all.

Thank you again gents.

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Charles:

I checked and the example in my collection is like the longer version in Robin's post, Remington with the Bridgeport address.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks to all who provided photos. Looks like Remington and USCC were the two main suppliers of the 24 round clipped revolver boxes for the M1917 revolvers. The smaller Remington 24 round box that Robin has is a really unusual variant, and great example of wartime packaging.

During the 1920's Frankford Arsenal also packaged M1911 rounds for the M1917 revolvers, but took a different approach. They used a standard 20 round box and added the revolver clips to the box. Here's an example I was able to find.

post-162630-0-59513300-1575983060.jpg

That crate just expanded the search parameters for the 24 round ammo boxes. It's a Peters Cartridge Company crate, so somewhere out there someone may have a 24 round Peters box. The hunt goes on!

Thanks Robin for posting those photos. That is an awesome example of a WWI crate.

Finally found a photo of a Peters 24 round box. It's amazing how hard these are to track down. This one has a lot number and date printed on it as well.

post-162630-0-43325200-1576435556.jpg

For info: The dimpled example is a Peters dated 1918. The undimpled is a US Cartridge Co. dated June 1917. I also have a dimpled one from REM-UMC dated 1918. The dimples on the Peters and the REM-UMC are in different locations. Thanks.

Browninggunner688

This is why I love this forum, you learn something new everyday.

Superb boxes by the way, never seen these for sale here in England.

Nick.

Thanks for that additional info Keith. I went back and looked at the rounds from my open Remington 24 round box, and about half of them had the dimples. All were 1918 dated rounds. I had read that the "dimples" were added to the Ordnance drawings as a revision in early 1918. Interesting stuff.