Japanese sword, 1st Calvary veteran bring-back.

rrobertscv

Got this from the veterans daughter today. She said he was with the 1st Calvary and was at Leyte. His name was William Caygle. She said he received 2 PHs, which she has. Any help with the sword would be great, this is m first one and I dont know anything.

post-285-0-96156600-1575766409_thumb.jpeg

I love these things. My dad brought 2 home, one an NCO and one an officer's. Then he went and sold them when I was off to college. It took me a lot of years before I found an NCO in very good shape that I could afford. You know kids, college etc. I never got to see the maker's name on the officer's sword (if there was a name).

Look at the throat of the scabbard, like you are looking down the hole. Should be a number stamped on the flat, next to opening.

Looks to be a naval (Kai) sword.

Im not seeing a number on the scabbard, Ive tried to look it over carefully

USCapturephotos

So great to get one from the family and to have the vet info. I have one from a USMC advisor to the Chinese.

Congratulations!

Paul

Nice sword!!

If you want to read up on it, it is a Type 95 shin gunto, otherwise known as the NCO sword. Yours is in nice condition, and the matching scabbard is a huge plus. Yours is probably midway through the production timeframe for these since it has the iron guard (earlier swords had ornate guards made from brass). Lots of great information on these in Dawsons book Swords of Imperial Japan.

Kai Gunto, right?

Nice sword!!

If you want to read up on it, it is a Type 95 shin gunto, otherwise known as the NCO sword. Yours is in nice condition, and the matching scabbard is a huge plus. Yours is probably midway through the production timeframe for these since it has the iron guard (earlier swords had ornate guards made from brass). Lots of great information on these in Dawsons book Swords of Imperial Japan.

Kai Gunto, right?

Not a Kai Gunto - that is in reference to a Japanese Naval Officer's sword. This is a second pattern non-commissioned officer's sword, with the appropriate leather knot (which are tough to find on their own).

Nice pick-up, especially with the history attached. Congrats!

Gary Gunto?

Seriously though folks, I have been told by multiple sword collectors that the ovoid tsubas were Navy.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Nope. Lol. Shin gunto.