Japanese sword, 1st Calvary veteran bring-back.

Got this from the veterans daughter today. She said he was with the 1st Calvary and was at Leyte. His name was William Caygle. She said he received 2 PHs, which she has. Any help with the sword would be great, this is m first one and I dont know anything.

post-285-0-96156600-1575766409_thumb.jpeg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Always looking for 70th Division(The Trailblazers) items or photos.

I love these things. My dad brought 2 home, one an NCO and one an officer's. Then he went and sold them when I was off to college. It took me a lot of years before I found an NCO in very good shape that I could afford. You know kids, college etc. I never got to see the maker's name on the officer's sword (if there was a name).

Look at the throat of the scabbard, like you are looking down the hole. Should be a number stamped on the flat, next to opening.

Looks to be a naval (Kai) sword.

Im not seeing a number on the scabbard, Ive tried to look it over carefully

Nice sword!!

If you want to read up on it, it is a Type 95 shin gunto, otherwise known as the NCO sword. Yours is in nice condition, and the matching scabbard is a huge plus. Yours is probably midway through the production timeframe for these since it has the iron guard (earlier swords had ornate guards made from brass). Lots of great information on these in Dawsons book Swords of Imperial Japan.

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2018.gif

donation2017.gif

Kai Gunto, right?

Nice sword!!

If you want to read up on it, it is a Type 95 shin gunto, otherwise known as the NCO sword. Yours is in nice condition, and the matching scabbard is a huge plus. Yours is probably midway through the production timeframe for these since it has the iron guard (earlier swords had ornate guards made from brass). Lots of great information on these in Dawsons book Swords of Imperial Japan.

Kai Gunto, right?

Not a Kai Gunto - that is in reference to a Japanese Naval Officer's sword. This is a second pattern non-commissioned officer's sword, with the appropriate leather knot (which are tough to find on their own).

Nice pick-up, especially with the history attached. Congrats!

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

In memory of S/Sgt. Paul Nigrini

ASN 13089327

380th BG / 528th BS

Beller's Crew - "The Black Widow"

MIA November 21, 1943

New Guinea

Great piece! These NCO swords are just plain cool!

Looking for any WWII 104th "Timberwolf" Division items.

Including items from the 413th, 414th, and 415th Infantry Regiments 104th Recon Troop, 329th Engineer Battalion, 329th Medical Battalion

385th, 386th, 387th, and 929th Field Artillery Battalions 804th Ordnance Company 104th Quartermaster Company 104th Signal Company

555th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, 750th Tank Battalion 692nd Tank Destroyer Battalion 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gif

Great sword.

Dont recall seeing the black finish grip before.Normally see them painted brown.Very nice!!

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..