WWII Production M1C with Rigger Made Liner

Nickman983

I had been looking for a nice WWII produced M1C for the right price for a while and I finally got the opportunity to pick one up. The shell is stamped 1156H and retains most of the original paint and a fair bit of the original corking. Unfortunately there are a few stress cracks on the shell and some scuffs presumably from storage but overall it's still in nice condition. It came with a rigger made Firestone paratrooper liner. The liner itself is late war and came with an earlier flat buckle chinstrap. It is also named to a Sargent Carlson, but with no other identifying information and a common last name I'm not holding my breath on an ID. Unfortunately one of the A washers has popped off, though luckily the washer is still firmly in place on the webbing and holding it together.

I wanted to get a second set of eyes on this set to make sure I didn't miss any red flags but as far as I can tell everything looks right.

With regards to the broken A washer, what are peoples thoughts on attempting to do a cosmetic repair to it? If I were to loosen the sweatband I think it would be very easy to take a small amount of super glue to reattach the A washer where it broke off. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm better off not messing with it and leaving it as I found it.

I still need to pick up a stand to display this one properly (rather than using the paper towel holder) so if anyone has suggestions for a nice stand that I can fit through the shoe string in the crown please let me know!

post-169952-0-62965000-1575759007_thumb.jpg

I would leave the broken A washer the way it is

Yea, thinking more about it that's probably not a bad idea. While I would like to "fix" it doing so wouldn't be something that could easily be undone if myself or a future owner decides they want to.

J. Murray Inc could repair it for you professionally if you don't want to undertake it yourself.

I hadn't considered that. I just checked out his site and it looks like he's booked up for the rest of the year at least. I might check again in January.

I ended up getting a stand for this one and adding a 1/4" net I had laying around. It displays much better now that I have a proper stand for it. As for the webbing, I think I'm going to leave it as is for the time being since I don't think it's at risk of getting worse. I may decide to reattach it with a small amount of epoxy in the future though.

post-169952-0-52211000-1576392252_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but my understanding was that REAR seam M1Cs were used post WWII as were rigger liners.

Again, correct me if I am wrong about that.

I would not mess with repairing it.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but my understanding was that REAR seam M1Cs were used post WWII as were rigger liners.

Again, correct me if I am wrong about that.

I would not mess with repairing it.

You're correct that this set would have been used post WWII.

I believe M1Cs in general were used in limited quantities late in WWII. This one still would have been produced during the WWII production run, though it would have been too late to see use.

As for the liner, I don't believe there is proof of rigger made liners being used in WWII. My understanding is that many were made in preparation for the invasion of Japan that never happened and then saw use during the Korean War.