• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pearl Harbor Survivor Grouping - USAF career officer also involved in the Space Program

Being that it is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor today, I thought I'd post my Pearl Harbor Survivor grouping. Got this from his son's estate. I've been spending quite a bit of time over the past few months putting together this vet's story. Very interesting! Hope someone else enjoys this! I got pictures of him and lots of info! :)

Elizabeth

Here is the information about Col. Boyle:

Colonel John Harold "Hal" BOYLE
An officer who, as an enlisted man, was at Hickam Field, Hawaii, when the Japs opened their attack against the US on 7 December 1941. During frequent flights in the line of duty, he saw a large portion of both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
Boyle was born 4 Aug 1918, in Philadelphia. After spending two years at McKinley High School at Washington, he transferred to Erasmus High School in Brooklyn, from which he graduated. He played second base on the school baseball team and ran relay and 220 yard sprint on the track. He then atttended Brooklyn College. In civilian life, Boyle worked for 4 1/2 years as a purchasing agent for the Cerro de Pasco Copper Corporation in New York City. He became a member of the Elks and the Knights of Columbus. His hobbies were photography and fencing.
He enlisted in the Regular Army on 4 Feb 1940, and his first assignment took him on a month's boat trip through the Panama Cannal to Hawaii, where he was stationed at Wheeler Field, Oahu from 24 Mar 1940 to 1 Dec 1941. In the Pacific, Boyle was assigned with the 7th Weather Region. From 1 Dec 1941 - 1 July 1942, he was stationed at Hickam Field. As an enlisted man, he attained every grade form private to first sergeant. From Hickam, he was called to OCS, graduating in Miami as a 2nd Lt. on 16 Sept 1942. His next assignment was with Headquarters, AAF, Weather Directorate, in Washington, working for sixmonths in the Pentagon Building before he received his assignment to the 9th Weather Region. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant on 12 Dec 1942, he gained his Captancy on 17 July 1943. Stationed at Puerto Rico on 10 Apr 1943, he was given the duty of assistant inspection officer. This required frequent trips to the various Caribbean Wing bases, with Boyle spedning a loarge part of his time on plane trips. On ^Feb 1944, he was stationed with the 9th Weather Region at Morrison Field, Palm Beach, FLA.
During the 1940s and until the mid-50s, Boyle spent about nine years in the Strategic Air Command, first as the Wing Director of Personnel, then as an air division director of plans, and later as a division assistant chief of staff. From there, he was assigned as vice commander and commander of the Lakenheath and Mildenhall air bases in England. Returning to the US in 1956, Boyle entered the Reserve Officers' Training Corps program as professor of air science at Loyola University of Las Angeles, Calif., serving until 1960. His assignment for the next three years was at the Pentagon, as deputy chief of the Airmen Assignment Division , Hq. USAF. From there he went to Wiesbaden AB, Germany, serving as vice commander of the 7101st Air Base Wing.
His final duty assignment was "Chief of Staff"; Air Force Eastern Test Range at Patrick Air Force Base during the Gemini and Apollo space programs. He assumed the duties of Executive Officer HQ. AFETR in Sept 1966.
Of the 30 years he served in the Air Force, 13 were spent in overseas assignments (five in England, four in Germany, two in the Carribean and South America area, and two in the Pacific area). During his AF craeer, he served two tours at HQS USAF in Washington DC and also completed a Soecial assignment in Vietnam.
He retired in 1971 with the rank of Colonel. Shortly after retirement from the USAF, he became administrator of Wuesthoff Hospital in Rockledge, FLA. He served in that capacity as its Chief Operating Officer for 11 years, retiring in 1982.
He attained a BS degree in Internation Relations from the University of Virginia, and an Aerospace Operations management from the University of Southern California, and attended Loyola University Law School in Los Angeles, while he was professor of their Air Science Department.
Among his military decorations are the Legion of Merit, the Air Force Commendation Medals with OLCs.
1948 Military Register:
Boyle, John H. (O36628). B-Pa. 4 Aug. 18. A-NY
2lt. A. US 16 Sept 42; accepted 16 Sept 42; active duty 16 Sept 42; 1 lt. A. US 12 Dec 42; capt A. US 17 July 43; Maj. A US 24 Apr 46 ---- Pvt. and 1/sgt. A. C., A. US 4 Feb 41 to 15 Sept 42; 1 lt. A. C. 5 July 46 with rank from 16 Sept. 45; accepted 2 Aug 46.

Here is a picture of Boyle during WWII, with his Wife:

post-151812-0-42118800-1575725482_thumb.jpg

Here are two pictures of the items:

post-151812-0-98243800-1575725420_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-18501200-1575725438_thumb.jpg

More pictures coming!

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

Close-up of medal rack (his name is written on the back of the insert that holds the medals):

post-151812-0-45984200-1575725693_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

Here he is again, with his wife, during WWII while in FLA:

post-151812-0-61128200-1575725747.jpg

donation2018.gif

A 1944 picture from a paper with an article about his current service in Palm Beach:

post-151812-0-69371600-1575725839_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-51705700-1575725956_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gif

Here is a 1968 picture of him presenting an award while at PAFB:

post-151812-0-94236400-1575725969_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gif

post-151812-0-42812700-1575725987.jpg

post-151812-0-45890200-1575725991_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gif

post-151812-0-21928200-1575726024_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-28818600-1575726039.png

Happily, the Space Museum down by Patrick AFB has digitised a lot of the bases' newsletters and it has been fun reading through to find him in them! I'm sure I haven't finished yet!

Remember Pearl Harbor!

Elizabeth

donation2018.gif

Great grouping and great effort in putting his story together. Thanks for posting.

Rene

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

Churchill

Keep buggering on.