Dutch Airforce Colonel with named US Legion of Merit, Officer grade

Hermanus

Hello to all,

I hope the moderators allow this as the focus of this story is a US decoration. As you all can read below my avatar, I am from the Netherlands. My collection of ODM is mainly Dutch. My interests are all around the world which includes the US ODM. My interest is mainly early Purple Hearts and other early strikes of your bravery awards. I even own a few.

Over a week ago my heart skipped a beat when I came upon a US Legion of Merit offered on the Dutch Marktplaats site. (an ebayish site). The pictures showed that it was named and the name looked Dutch. That was a first to me. I only saw a handfull named LoMs to non US military here at the forum. I quickly googled the name and well, well, what a journey followed. I posted here at USMF to learn if the engraving was legit. It was.

Bear with me as I am going to describe the life of J.J.F. van Brussel, Joop for his friends. I am still searching for information.

Joop was born in 1926 in the Netherlands. He joined the Dutch AAF after WW2 and learned to fly. He earned his wings and was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the reserves on august 1st, 1949. He didn't serve in the Dutch East Indies as he was needed in the building up of the Dutch Airforce in the early Cold War. He flew the Gloster Meteor, a dayfighter jet during those years. He was offered a regular officer commission in the earmy fifties and was promoted to Captain on january 1st, 1954. At this time he flew with in 323 squadron.

He switched squadrons and in 1957 he flew in 700 squadron. This squadron was equipe with the North American F-86K Sabres, used by the Dutch as nightfighters.

post-104867-0-13432000-1575706467_thumb.jpeg

A picture of 700 squadron with a F-86K and a bunch of it's pilots. Joop van Brussel is kneeling second from the left.

He was promoted to Major on November 1st, 1960, trained on the new F104 Starfighter jet and flew with a squadron on Airbase Twenthe. In 1961 he attended the Airforce staffcourse in class 21. Graduation meant career opportunitues to the top ranks. The badge with the bird on it signifies succesfull completion of this course.

November 1st, 1966 promotion to Lieutenant Colonel followed and he became chief flight operations at Leeuwarden Airbase.

From November 1968 he was Chief Air Defence Fighter Branche at 2 ATAF in Monchengladbach, Germany, an international NATO job.

He was promoted to full Colonel on May 1st, 1973 and was given the job of Military Air Attaché at the Dutch Embassy in Washington DC. He served in Washington till 1977. He was retired as Colonel in 1981 after serving my country for more than 34 years.

He was married to his wife Bep and they had a few children. After a long retirement he died (date unknown) and was survival by his wife who died May 23rd of this year, 90 years old.

Joop had a normal Dutch Airforce career for the Cold War era. He did not participate in any of the Dutch colonial clashes after WW2.

In december 1964 he received the Dutch Officers Cross with numeral XV. This award was given upon 15 years of service as an officer. Every five years the numeral was exchanged to a higher level (XX, XXV, XXX etc.). When Joop retired he was eligible for XXX.

Apart from his pilot wing and his staffcourse brevet emblem these were Joops only Dutch decorations.

Fortunately he received a decoration from the US for his Air attaché period in Washington. This center point of his awards is a Simco produced Officer grade of the Legion of Merit. It is named to Joop and marked in the brooch with SIMCO GI. It was issued to him in 1977 and comes in a standard Arrow box.

Unfortunately no documents accompanied the medals.

From hereon the pictures will tell the story.

post-104867-0-05363400-1575708798.jpeg

This is a picture of Joop as a Captain and Sabre pilot.

Thanks for reading this post and enjoy.

Herman

post-104867-0-52985700-1575709808.jpeg

The last picture is of Joop as a Lieutenant Colonel smoking his pipe.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

Herman

post-104867-0-00942400-1575713709_thumb.jpeg

The SIMCO GI mark.

post-104867-0-32964600-1575713471.jpeg

Joop van Brussel as a Captain-flyer, in Dutch Kapitein-vlieger, proudly displaying his pilot wing, in Dutch a 'vink'.

post-104867-0-60226200-1575713413_thumb.jpeg